Calling all grammar nazis

Show us your creative side! Everything from graphics to poetry is welcome!

Moderator: Magyk

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Calling all grammar nazis

Post by Magyk »

I'd appreciate it if anyone wants to take a crack at editing this essay; it's for my final in a History of Rock and Roll class. Thanks in advance if anyone wants to help me out.

Led Zeppelin was an English band, formed in 1968 by four men; John Paul Jones playing bass and keyboard, Robert Plant as the lead vocalist, John Bonham on drums, and Jimmy Page as the lead guitarist. The band has an incredibly well known reputation as being experimental with their music. In fact, Led Zeppelin’s genre of music ranges from Arabic to Celtic, Funk to Soul, and even reggae to classical. Although primarily blues mixed with heavy metal Led Zeppelin’s very experimental music broke down some barriers that existed between genres that wouldn't otherwise be mixed. (Wikipedia)

In 1968 Jimmy Page joined the Yard Bird’s as a bassist, later he switched to lead guitar replacing Jeff Beck. The band broke up later on. Terry Reid was originally requested for the position of lead singer, upon refusing he suggested Robert Plant, who accepted and suggested John Bonham as being the drummer. When Christ Dreja, the band's bassist dropped out of the band, he recommended to the others a bassist named John Paul Jones. The band decided that working under the name The New Yardbirds was “akin to working under false presences.” As a result they decided to change the band name for their live debut. Led Zeppelin was born. (Wikipedia)

Something that made Led Zeppelin very diverse was the fact that each member had their own different musical tastes. When combined the sound that Led Zeppelin produced was more than just music. The band's favorite music was incredibly different, but when the band put it together it seemed to play seamlessly. "In Jimmy Page’s words, the band aimed for 'a kind of construction in light and shade.”'The members of Led Zeppelin were musical sponges, often traveling the world –literally traipsing about foreign lands and figuratively exploring the cultural landscape via their record collections – in search of fresh input to trigger their muse. “The very thing Zeppelin was about was that there were absolutely no limits,” explained bassist Jones. 'We all had ideas, and we’d yews everything we came across, whether it was folk, country music, blues, Indian, Arabic.'"(Hall of Fame) This is perhaps why many people, young and old, "still want to turn up the volume and leave it there." (Zangara)

''The most wonderful thing about Led Zeppelin is the variety within their music. They broke all the rules of music as they never stuck to a one certain formula like most other bands of the time. Zeppelin, in their time, were more successful than The Beatles, OR The Rolling Stones but the press just wouldn't allow it.'' (Zangara)
From the time Led Zeppelin was formed, they were continually experimenting with their music. The band never once released a single, "as they preferred to develop the concept of album-oriented rock." (Wikipedia)

The band's debut album "Led Zeppelin" was heavily driven by blues, with lengthy solos and psychedelic effects. (Hall of Fame) Led Zeppelin II focused on more mainstream rock music, heavier, faster, louder. Their third album took a drastically different sound, as it featured mostly acoustic music, nearly country or folk tracks. The bands fourth album was without a doubt their peak, and a milestone for rockers all over the world. The album cover featured no name, just some runes on the front cover, most refer to it as "Led Zeppelin IV" or "The Runes Album", this album flaunts a healthy mix of Zeppelin's psychedelic, folk and hard rock sounds. "Most significant of the album’s eight tracks was the fable-like “Stairway to Heaven,” an eight-minute epic" (Hall of Fame) This song remains the most requested song on the radio today. (Although I'm sure some Lynyrd Skynyrd fans would contest this fact.) As untouchable as Stairway seemed, Led Zeppelin continued to push the envelope reinventing themselves with their next two albums : Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti. These albums featured more of an upbeat, nearly "pop" vibe, mixed with heavy eastern influences.

It seemed Led Zeppelin was an invincible band, for nearly twelve years the band relentlessly released hit after hit dominating album sales and music charts. Led Zeppelin at the end of their run, and even today controls legions of fans. It was for nearly twelve years that the band was on top of the world, then a series of tragedies slowly pulled at the band. Late in the seventies, Robert Plant broke his leg putting the band out of commission for nearly two years. Shortly after his six year old son died from a viral infection. Two albums were released, but neither received any real publicity at the time despite hits from both albums that are revered as some of Zeppelin's best. In 1980 the band was finally disband after John Bonham passed away from massive alcohol consumption. (Hall of Fame) One last studio album was released by Led Zeppelin, titled "Coda" the album featured many outtakes from recording sessions, and memorable live performances. Also, a previously unreleased track called "Bonzo's Montreux" was released, the song featured a lengthy drum solo from Bonham with added digital effects by Page. (Wikipedia)

The remaining members of the band launched other careers. Robert Plant began singing solo, Jimmy Page formed "The Firm" with ex-Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers, and John Paul Jones returned to producing music. Aside from brief reunions for charity events, which often featured Bonham's son playing drums, Led Zeppelin was never reunited. In 1995 Page and Plant reconvened to record an album titled "No Quarter." (Hall of Fame)

As a band, Led Zeppelin released nine studio albums before they were through. Their music influenced many bands and artists to come, and their tunes will forever ring in the ears of their loyal fans. Led Zeppelin truly had done something no other band had done before "Led Zeppelin took their music, and elevated it to an art."(Zangara.) For Led Zeppelin fans, the song really does remain the same.

Works Cited:

Hawksley, Lucinda, ed. "Led Zeppelin." The Billboard Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock. 1998. 213.
"Led Zeppelin." Wikipedia. 9 June 2009. 9 June 2009 <en.wikipedia.org>.
Zangara, Chris M. "Led Zeppelin." All Experts. 16 Feb. 2005. 9 June 2009 <http://en.allexperts.com>.
"Led Zeppelin." Rock&Roll Hall of Fame. 2007. 9 June 2009 <www.rockhall.com>.

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Re: Calling all grammar nazis

Post by Turky »

getting to work on this, but one thing... your citing? isn't it more proper to have superscripts? I don't know what your English teacher had suggested but I do know there's more than one proper way to do it. if that's what he/she told you to do then just ignore me :P

also, wikipedia is NOT a good reference to have in a paper. Your best way to bypass that is to yews Wikipedia's citations for a direct source. If they don't have it cited, try to find the information elsewhere.

edit2: your parentheses and the yews of "I" = bad, don't change tenses in the middle! stick to third person
Last edited by Turky on Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

I'll take a whack at it.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

tens0r

Post by tens0r »

TRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turky

Post by Turky »

Led Zeppelin was an English band, formed in 1968 by four men: John Paul Jones playing bass and keyboard, Robert Plant as the lead vocalist, John Bonham on drums, and Jimmy Page as the lead guitarist. The band is reputed for being rather experimental with their music; Led Zeppelin’s genre of music ranges from Arabic to Celtic, Funk to Soul, and even reggae to classical. Although primarily blues mixed with heavy metal Led Zeppelin’s very experimental music broke down some barriers that existed between genres that wouldn't otherwise be mixed. (Wikipedia)

Jimmy Page joined the Yard Birds as a bassist in 1968, later replacing Jeff Beck as lead guitarist. The band broke up later on. Terry Reid was originally requested for the position of lead singer, but upon his refusal he suggested Robert Plant, who accepted and suggested John Bonham as drummer. When Christ Dreja, the band's bassist. dropped out of the band, he recommended John Paul Jones to replace him. The band decided that working under the name The New Yardbirds was “akin to working under false presences.” As a result they decided to change the band name for their live debut. Led Zeppelin was born. (Wikipedia)

The wide variation in musical tastes of its individual members attributed strongly to the diversity of Led Zeppelin. When combined, Led Zeppelin's sound was more than just music. The band's favorite music was incredibly different, but when the band put it together it seemed to play seamlessly. "In Jimmy Page’s words, the band aimed for 'a kind of construction in light and shade.”'The members of Led Zeppelin were musical sponges, often traveling the world –literally traipsing about foreign lands and figuratively exploring the cultural landscape via their record collections – in search of fresh input to trigger their muse. “The very thing Zeppelin was about was that there were absolutely no limits,” explained bassist Jones. 'We all had ideas, and we’d yews everything we came across, whether it was folk, country music, blues, Indian, Arabic.'"(Hall of Fame) This is perhaps why many people, young and old, "still want to turn up the volume and leave it there." (Zangara)

''The most wonderful thing about Led Zeppelin is the variety within their music. They broke all the rules of music as they never stuck to a one certain formula like most other bands of the time. Zeppelin, in their time, were more successful than The Beatles, OR The Rolling Stones but the press just wouldn't allow it.'' (Zangara)
From the time Led Zeppelin was formed, they were continually experimenting with their music. The band never once released a single, "as they preferred to develop the concept of album-oriented rock." (Wikipedia)

The band's debut album "Led Zeppelin" was heavily driven by blues, with lengthy solos and psychedelic effects. (Hall of Fame) Led Zeppelin II focused on more mainstream rock music: heavier, faster, and louder. Their third album took a drastically different sound, as it featured mostly acoustic music, such as country or folk tracks. The band's fourth album unrefutably marked their pinnacle, and a milestone for rockers all over the world. The album cover featured no name--simply some runes on the front cover. Most refer to it as "Led Zeppelin IV" or "The Runes Album"; this album flaunts a healthy mix of Zeppelin's psychedelic, folk and hard rock sounds. "Most significant of the album’s eight tracks was the fable-like “Stairway to Heaven,” an eight-minute epic" (Hall of Fame) This song remains the most requested song on the radio today, though arguably some Lynyrd Skynyrd fans might beg to differ. As untouchable as Stairway seemed, Led Zeppelin continued to push the envelope reinventing themselves with their next two albums : Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti. These albums featured more of an upbeat, nearly "pop" vibe, mixed with heavy eastern influences.

It seemed Led Zeppelin was invincible. For nearly twelve years, the band relentlessly released hit after hit, dominating album sales and music charts. At the end of their run, and even today, Led Zeppelin controls legions of fans. After their twelve years of glory, a series of tragedies slowly pulled at the band. Late in the seventies, Robert Plant broke his leg putting, the band out of commission for nearly two years. Shortly after, his six year old son died from a viral infection. Two albums were released, but neither received any real publicity at the time despite hits from both albums that are revered as some of Zeppelin's best. In 1980 the band was finally disbanded after John Bonham passed away from massive alcohol consumption. (Hall of Fame) One last studio album was released by Led Zeppelin, titled "Coda." The album featured many outtakes from recording sessions, and memorable live performances. Also, a previously unreleased track called "Bonzo's Montreux" was released, the song featured a lengthy drum solo from Bonham with added digital effects by Page. (Wikipedia)

The remaining members of the band launched other careers. Robert Plant began singing solo, Jimmy Page formed "The Firm" with ex-Bad Company singer Paul Rodgers, and John Paul Jones returned to producing music. Aside from brief reunions for charity events, which often featured Bonham's son playing drums, Led Zeppelin was never reunited. In 1995 Page and Plant reconvened to record an album titled "No Quarter." (Hall of Fame)

As a band, Led Zeppelin released nine studio albums before their run was over. Their music influenced many bands and artists to come, and their tunes will forever ring in the ears of their loyal fans. Led Zeppelin truly had achieved something no other band had done before. "Led Zeppelin took their music, and elevated it to an art."(Zangara.) For Led Zeppelin fans, the song really does remain the same.

also, things like um...

"In Jimmy Page’s words, the band aimed for 'a kind of construction in light and shade.”'

I'm not sure if you're quoting two people there, or just one. If it was more than one, you've got to say who it was.

Definitely work on integrating more of your quotations into sentences, you don't want to just have them sitting out there as a solitary sentence to comment on later.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Thanks a lot turk, that's actually a really, really big help.

The quote from Jimmy page was a direct quote I got from an article, I had two pairs of quotation marks , one representing the article I ripped it from and the other Page's words. I'm not sure if that's the correct format for doing that or what though. Also, we're citing using MLA format.

My History of R&R teacher said he'd rather have us have a bunch of quotes floating around with us commenting on them, cited correctly, than a bunch of un-quoted plagiarized stuff. That explains the large quotes that stick out somewhat, but I'll definitely be sure to work on integrating quotes better in the future.

Thanks a bunch though, really.

tens0r

Post by tens0r »

WTF are you doing an essay for.

Get to work on my sig I requested!

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

I read over your edits turk, and I really like how you took some of my wordier sentences and made them shorter, yet still kept the same overall meaning of them.

On an unrelated note; after this week , my finals will be done and the summer hours will officially be ticking away until the next school year. At that time I'm going to resume doing images for the site, and playing JA more frequently.

...Tensor probably won't get a sig until summer 2010. =P

Turky

Post by Turky »

by the way, did you really mean to write "false presences?" or did you mean "false pretenses?" just haven't seen the former expression before, that's all.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Whoops, i definitely meant false pretenses, thanks for pointing that one out too.