Abominatus

Tell us your story. Tensor likes reading these.
Berash

Abominatus

Post by Berash »

History of Abominatus - Berash's gift to siegers everywhere

It's been a few years so some of the particular details such as dates and times elude me. I've looked at some of the forums I'm registered on my estimated timeline is late 2004-2005 or so for this. Anyways, it starts like this.

JK2 was the first fps game I ever played starting in late 2003 or so. Wandering around from one no-laming honor stand around and whatever server to the next eventually led me to joining UJ. It was fun, for a time. I started to get bored of those servers after a while and began playing on chop shop's servers in jk2 and jka as well as UJ's siege server.

It wasn't very long until I was UJ's best player in either mode, (not like that says a lot. The only other decent player they ever had prior to my taking control was HonorableMaster.)

HonorableMaster isn't a name I expect anyone here to know, but he more or less was my mentor in my early UJ days. The team that later became known as Abominatus probably never would have been formed without his help early on. He's the one who taught me some of JK2/JkA's finer details and such. Shout out to him for that.

Anyways, I digress somewhat. HonorableMaster was the one in charge of their saber tffa/ctf/siege teams at the time. The tffa team was active and played against other clans on a regular basis. HM never really had gotten ctf or siege going and wasn't especially keen on running 3 teams. I had been in UJ for some months now and was rising up the "ranks". As such I was appointed or whatever they called it siege/ctf captain.

At this point, I was known as a decent but not exceptional player in the siege community and considered another chopshopper by refresh which was jka's ctf community at the time. Naturally that made me far superior to anyone but HM in UJ. He was only around sporadically during that time which left me with random saberists who weren't accustomed to siegeplay. I did my best to train them and started playing matches against other clans.

It didn't go well, I still feel like HM and I acquitted ourselves well but 2 players didn't make a team. I started getting frustated with the players I had. This led to someone from Heroic (Dollar I think) grabbing a screenshot of me saying "Learn how to play" in teamsay after Heroic handed us our asses.

At this point, I began looking for more skilled players who weren't attached to other teams. This was in the post thu/jw era and I was able to convince R to join. At the time, he was considered the top sniper in the NA scene and was my first major haul. After this the pieces started falling in place. R pointed Riku and Tyro out as promising new players.

At this point, my team consisted of me, R, Tyro, Riku, HM, Irishdragon(another UJer that happened to play fairly well as a lightsaber class) and a few UJ players who had been relegated to bench duty in favor of my new recruits. I felt that the team had promise and began setting up the classes we would play and continued with training my team, notably Riku/Tyro and Irishdragon to a lesser extent. He was more interested in saber dueling then guns and I left him to it mostly.

While things were going well with assembling my lineup and beginning to practice against the other UJ's, things weren't so rosy elsewhere. I had come down with the anti-honor mentality that populated the ctf/siege scene and started colliding with UJ's leadership over a few things I don't remember very well.

As a result, my tenure as UJ's ctf/siege captain only lasted a few months. R and I had discussed the situation and persuaded my newly formed team to split from UJ and we ended up forming Abominatus.

At this point, the lineup was the same as above, for a short while. R persuaded one of his former Thu clanmates, sircursealot, to join. This, I think, was the turning point for AB. Prior to this HM and I had been the in-game leaders. Curse came in and assumed that role pretty naturally. This is when we started playing other teams. I don't remember all the teams we played, but here's a few things I can recall. UJ, Mex, Heroic, Bfa, Arox, Kbr? can't remember, but we beat them all.

I looked around for some screenshots, but the sites they were posted on all appear to be gone, AB's old forums, heroic etc.

I did find this shot from AB(w/ milkman ringing) playing Mex.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/ ... 6ac9e9.jpg

At the top, Heroic was still considered to be the top team so was inevitable that we would clash at some point. However, being the arrogant bastards we were, we first challenged Heroic to a 3v3 tdm game.

That led to much hilarity and the following comment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/ ... ce602d.jpg

Irishdragon played in our first game against Heroic and went inactive shortly thereafter. HM had done so as well so I found myself a member short. R had also begun playing World of Warcraft and we all know what that does to people.

This is when curse brought Hawk onto our server. A server? When did we get... Oh god I totally forgot about Samantha Carter ahahahaha. Carter was some guy everyone thought was crazy but he had a server so I asked him to join so we could yews it as a private training server which is where we practiced and all that. Anyways, we had Hawk try out and asked him to join after he beat me in a hoth-chewbacca 1v1. This led to me being paranoid about him since I had never seen or heard of the guy before. I eventually decided he was really awb for some reason, not sure why...

Anyhow, I was still short a heavyweapons on korriban and ended up recruiting dollarfiveo, the undisputed headcase of siege. This ended up making Hawk angry and he quit. I want to say we recruited BobDole at this point, but I honestly don't remember. He was some former Thu or JW as well I think.

At this point our lineup looked like something this. Curse, Riku, Tyro, Dollarfiveo, Bobdole? and me. I think this is when we started insisting on 5v5's because of spam wanting to make sure we had enough people to play whenever.

So this brings us near to the end of our streak through the siege scene. We had beaten all of the active NA clans rather convincingly and were looking for a new challenge. Hawk and later I had tried to arrange a match with JW but were unsuccessful. This still irks me a little because they were able to arrange the whole ''match'' with "RH" around that time.

I believe the last match/scrimmage we played was against SMC and was what, in a small part, eventually led to the demise of the team through my growing discontent/annoyance with the game.

I don't remember how many players were involved, but it was on Korriban. I don't remember what server we played on, but pings were horrible for everyone, us and them. I don't even remember the lineups though I want to say Darkloki was ringing for us at the time. Long story short, we breached the first door and were moving on to the crystals. This is back when everyone still considered...was it blue? the one that was real high up on a cliff or whatever to be the standard defending position. Anyways whatever, they didn't defend that one. They defended the one that was down the long hallway. And by defend, I mean they all went demo or whatever and choked the everliving fuck out of that thing with tripmines. Like, they made lick look like treehuggers. Plant all your mine's, sk at the timer, rinse and repeat. I'm getting angry just writing about this 5-6 years later or so.

Anyways, I believe that was the last real match we played. After that, I decided that siege was hopelessly shallow due to such abusable chokes and slow classes. It didn't help matters that I went on a 2 week vacation. By the time I came back, the team had scattered to the winds and that was the end of our reign as the self-appointed King's of Siege.

Anyways, shoutout to my former mates from AB and the people we stomped. Good times were had by all. Especially Mex.

P.S. Fuck your spam SMC :)

So anyways, thanks for reading. Feel free to ask to be enlightened about your glorious predecessors and I'll do my best to alleviate your barbaric selves.

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Re: Abominatus

Post by Turky »

Hah. Green holds are still looked down upon today by many, I guess you could say we got sick of it on our accord. There are ways to make siege a little more balanced, and myself and others have tried to do just that, but it seems like the bulk of the community would rather have something to bitch about.

We almost never pug korriban, most people don't want to. For me, it's one of those maps that I barely enjoy playing even if my team is winning really hard. That's how you know it's bad.

I remember me, Guard, Tensor and others getting held for 20 minutes just at the first Korri objective against SMC. Their ways didn't change much. They pretty much just play LoL now, good riddance.

Ah, the days of true siege competition...so far gone now.

Darth_Wayne
kera and sfail's fiend

Post by Darth_Wayne »

omg i r turning point!

Still playing Quake?

Berash

Post by Berash »

Not really, not enough 4v4 ctf/tdm on the west coast to keep me interested. mostly screwing around in tf2 these days.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Is it Beer-ash or Bear-ash???????????????????

Roflraptor
LoLdIn0

Post by Roflraptor »

Maximus wrote:Is it Beer-ash or Bear-ash???????????????????

It's clearly Berash

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Post by Turky »

Maximus wrote:Is it Beer-ash or Bear-ash???????????????????

burash.