Siege Mapping Discussion

Discuss siege map projects.
Maximus

Re: Siege Mapping Discussion

Post by Maximus »

In response to my inquires, I have gathered the following suggestions in regard to siege objectives.

1.No single choke points that can be held by continually filling it with splash damage weapons.
2.Minimize potential for shield abuse.*
3.Should not be lameable or skippable, unless they are designed to be skippable.
4.Choice of optional objectives to hold is acceptable, i.e. Korri crystals. Probably only one will be held on a regular basis, but it gives defense a “second chance” in a way, and increases replay value.
5.Eliminate any kind of hacks e.g. Cargo wookie trick.
6.Popular elements of base maps: defending an open area, good obstacles and cover, large area to snipe, killing people at a doorway (hopefully not only by splash), being able to camp objectives.
7.Unpopular elements of base maps: having to have entire defense team dead to complete the objective, having an alternate route to the objective that's “too far” from the main way so the defense has to significantly divide their forces, having battles in too-close quarters e.g. cargo.

*I have mixed feelings on this one. They seem to be a strong component of the 3rd Hoth objective; the whole shielding/perfecting/maxing/drop the codes, pick up the codes/20 second timing thing is what makes the 3rd Hoth objective special. I will go with the consensus on this one, but my gut tells me defense is going to be disadvantaged in ways they don't like if shields have no role.
Last edited by Maximus on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

nightwatch

Re: Siege Mapping Discussion

Post by nightwatch »

About the Force level 3 thing... I think it's good to have saber defense 3 on a single-saber low-hp reborn boss (i.e. turn and face snipers)