In regards to admin on Tempest

See all the latest news. New visitors start here!
GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

In regards to admin on Tempest

Post by GUARD!AN »

I was the one who changed the passes (twice). I also have intentionally delayed redistributing them to see what you guys did afterwards.

After the Flyer incident, I decided to spend a little while speccing you guys in Tempest.

While I did not see blatant admin abuse (which I will define as using admin powers just for the sake of using them, or kicking people on a whim, things like that), I did see things that I wasn't happy with. That I hope you guys will consider changing moving forward.

A few things I want to discuss:

Currently this is what the Tempest rules say for team switching:
you are allowed to be on the team that you want to be, but do not stack teams on purpose

I'm sorry piipe, but I am removing that last part. What I am currently am seeing is hurting siege. Someone will switch teams because they want to play offense twice, or are tired of their team, or whatever reason. Angry admin sees this, and starts the usual warning, forceteam, kick. The person decides to leave. We lose a player. Then the admin decides to force team another poor sucker, which ends up putting that person off too. The best way to get back at someone who teamswitches is for you to switch to that person's old team and rampage against the teamswitcher who shifted the teams in the first place.

I want to see you guys switching yourselves instead of using admin and forcing everyone around. Forceteaming a bunch of people and making up to 3 people frustrated (you, the original teamswitcher, and then some other poor sucker) isn't helping siege in the long run. I understand there are some instances where you can't switch yourself due to stacking the teams (Example: Guard + 4 tempest noobs vs Schrute + 3 tempest noobs, and one of Guard's 4 tempest noobs decide Guard sucks and goes to Schrute's team. In this case there is no need for additional action because Guard shouldn't be butthurt over it and should just try a little harder instead of forcing him back to his team)

I want to see you guys making decisions for the best of the server, not to just teach someone a lesson. That's not what you have admin for.

Now the second topic, spam. You guys can't go around enforcing spam on a pub server. This was a tough decision when we started up Tempest, but pubs are a legitimate place for spam (that obviously isnt lift spam or spawn laming). If you want to play a game spam-free then you go to pug at Impulse, where excessive spamming can be enforced (recall that the rules of Impulse are pretty much whatever the current people playing there decide they are).

Since you guys have already started enforcing a no midget door spam rule, I will let you continue to do so since it will just confuse everyone if we stopped enforcing it, but I am not a happy camper that you made up this rule and started enforcing it. However, if I see you guys making up another new rule about spam without running it by me then there will be some serious admin revocations and I will overturn it. Pub players need spam as a crutch to keep up with you more experienced players, you cannot rob them of that, and you need to understand that.

Now, the good news. I have actually appreciated Magyk always double checking the official rules of Tempest thread, and in general always trying to admin in the spirit of them and sticking by them to the best of his abilities and moral compass. For that I am promoting him to council admin. I encourage you guys to do the same. While you should strive to know the rules inside and out, you should at least be checking them regularly to make sure you are actually enforcing the correct rules, and not something you are frustrated with. I am open to revising the rules, you just have to be open with me first instead of doing things on your own.

Anyways, read the rules, and send me a PM with the request for admin so I can keep track of who I am giving it out to. I already have Ramshi's request. I will roll them out over the course of the next week or two.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Ramshi

Re: In regards to admin on Tempest

Post by Ramshi »

And if you get 5v1 like what happened to me before I had admin?

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

aha I so knew that there was no rule about midget door sapm... :D btw in usual i switch myself team if there's a stack, sometimes i just try to convince someone else :P i never used admin to enforce someone to other team, and i know spam is legal on Tempest it's obvoius, everyone yews it (yeah clan members admins so...) Nah i gonna write you a letter.

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Yeah, if the bots are fucking up the teams then feel free to move people around too. But like I said, don't just pick a certain person to teach them a lesson, try to pick someone who doesn't really care what team they are on.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

I usually switch the last guy in. Also, sometimes the server auto 'balances' teams even though its actually stuffing them up...

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

And, who was Creater_X? Was that you, Guard?

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

ok, seems fair enuf

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

My general rule of thumb is to ask if anyone wants to switch first, and then switch the last person to join the round if it's needed. Occasionally you'll get a "stacked" round where it's 2 v 4 and the 2 dudes are rolling the 4, which is why it's important to get a feel for the teams before you start asking for a balance. (Though I usually do ask for the teams to be balanced at the start of a round before I restart it.)

@Guard,

I think the reason we started enforcing the midget door spam is because it actually, if done enough, can break the map and make it unplayable. It really isn't much different than this rule:
GUARD!AN wrote:- Spam hangar door with a heavy weapons and a tesh giving him ammo

No one was enforcing putting mines inside the door, but rather having 3 rax jorises and 2 assas camping right outside the door and golan/mining it so not even an offensive jan could help. There's no other chokepoint on a basemap that's this ridiculous (there are some on custom maps, but that's beside the point) and because it's such a unique area compared to the other objectives on siege maps, I think that's why we all believed we needed to expand upon the already-existing chewie spam rule.

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

What magyk said. The door spam in a way evolved from chewie randomly firing rockets at the door killing the occasionaly bystander, to dudes throwing all 20 mines and golan balls into door, thus making it impossible to get thro reguardless of how many jans you have. Even Tensor couldnt save ya from that situation. Oh Guard could we make a formal rule reguarding spec join? People have the idea lately to spec join to avoid max or being killed by opposing team.

http://www.xfire.com/profile/robinhood1 ... #122122258

Plenty more like that ^^ Gets to be annoying.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

I've asked this before but:

How hard would it be to open the side route at the hangar....the one that the defense uses to get there on objective?

Something server-side only, obviously....prob not possible, huh?

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.