OFFICIAL NEW SCHOOL vs. OLD SCHOOL SIEGE CHALLENGE MMXII

See all the latest news. New visitors start here!
Magyk
Graphics Guru

OFFICIAL NEW SCHOOL vs. OLD SCHOOL SIEGE CHALLENGE MMXII

Post by Magyk »

Expanding upon Ceasar v. CHEW 2012 (which i still want to see) let's make this happen.

Please read over, and offer revisions. Obviously there will be debate between New and Old players as to what tactics should be allowed, so we can hopefully find some middle ground.

Rules:
Teams:
Teams will be 4v4.
Substitutions will be allowed as needed.
If a team has less than 4 players, it is the choice of the team with 4 players to decide to even the teams or not.

Maps:

Best 2 out of 3 maps.
Teams will pistol duel for first offense, first offense will go to the other team for the second map.
A second pistol duel will decide who offenses the third map OR what tactics to yews (read on)
Maps are up for discussion. (Here I would propose Hoth and Narshadaa (ironically..) read on for why. Maybe Cargo as the third map.)

Tactics:

Obviously the biggest point of discussion.
I would like to propose that Hoth (home field for the "old school" team) be played with any old school tactics the old school team wishes to impose. ie: No selfkilling, no YAWing, etc.
Nar Shadaa would be homefield for the "new school" team and would be played with current rules.
Should the match go to a third map, the winner of the pistol duel would then pick either Offense/Defense OR "home field" advantage (allowable tactics.)

General Rules:

This match will be "officiated" by spectators.
Should a map be considered a "win" if the second offense simply gets farther than the first one? Or should a victory be considered a completed offense AND a hold, all other results being a tie. This was a subject of debate in Impulse earlier today.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Magyk on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHEW

Re: OFFICIAL NEW SCHOOL vs. OLD SCHOOL SIEGE CHALLENGE MMXII

Post by CHEW »

That the people playing should choose the maps, that is my thoughts.

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Eh, I've never heard of a siege match that hasn't been played on the 3 base maps. But since the new school guys would probably get destroyed on Korriban/Desert I guess Hoth/Nar is the most fair option for them
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

CHEW

Post by CHEW »

Fair? lol. He said he could play THE GAME better than the old schools. The base 3 maps are the GAME!

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I never said anything about the base three maps. Oh and magyk thank you for outlining this for me. Read over this, because this will constitute the basic rules of the game. I really dont know who is on Chew team but i know i have magyk and piston already recruited for mine so this is going to be an epic game literally cant wait.

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Post by Turky »

Because the people at Raven who originally made the game were SO good at making siege maps. Walker invis, cc lame, droid part bug, absolutely fucked up splash damage, mad chokepoints combined with the worst weapon choices and class balance... someone wanna continue for me?

Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing with you, Chew. Just sayin'.

Kain
The Twelve Year Old

Post by Kain »

I gotta agree with Chew's point. The base maps are THE game. Chew has a point.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Maybe the best way to do it, building off of Chew's idea would be to let the old school team pick their own map, the new school team pick their own map, and then mutually agree on a third map together.

Edit:

Also, we need a way to "define" who is new, and who isn't. ie: I've been sieging since December 2005, which is pretty "old school" - but obviously I'm considered a new school player. What is the cutoff point for deciding who is applicable to either team?

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

As far as the tactics issue goes, you should just let everyone play their own game. Let the new school guys yews SK/yaw/whatever they want, let the old school guys yews whatever they want. I think that was the point of what Ceasar was originally trying to raise anyways, that Ceasar playing his way could defeat Chew playing his way. To force one side to play like the other defeats the purpose.

Besides, the new school guys would be more likely to be praying for no more yaw anyways, especially on Korriban. Players who don't like yaw like Archi have already learned to play with/against those who do. Most of the new guys would have no clue how to combat Tensor or Jawa slicing them in half as a defense chewie. I still have nightmares of trying to turn a corner and having less than a second to live/get out of the way if Tensor is behind it.

As far as who is old school and new school, just let Ceasar and Chew pick their own teams, it sounds like they have a pretty good idea of who is around their generation. Otherwise, anyone who Chew actually has played with or against in a clan match is probably considered old school, and anyone who has been in the same server as Jan Sexy jan on multiple occasions could probably be considered new school.

Really there are 3 different generations of siegers at play here though:

Classic: (players who traditionally didn't play competitively with /kill, yaw, etc...their style requires more reliance on raw skill if anything)
Archi
Chew
Jakab
J3rk
Black

Classic/Modern: Kerafym

Modern: (players who have played competitively with both new and classic styles)
Tensor
Jawa
Guard
Roflraptor
Turkey

Modern/New: Schrute

New: (players who have played competitively with just new style, their style requires more reliance on strategy and planning if anything)
Ceasar
Magyk
Piston
Ramshi
Xeon
Mike the Dragon
Pretty much every other currently active sieger
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I agree with Guard lets pick teams then post rosters then pick dates. Oh and team names.