Officially ban racial slurs and other forms of bigotry?

See all the latest news. New visitors start here!

Ban racial slurs and other bigotry?

Yes, it is disrespectful regardless of context
48%
No, we should allow as much free speech as possible
52%

Total votes: 23

Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Re: Officially ban racial slurs and other forms of bigotry?

Post by Kerafym »

Only niggers and faggots want to censor people.
Hi. I'm angry on the internet.

tens0r

Post by tens0r »

Kerafym wrote:Only niggers and faggots want to censor people.
Well fuck that, I don't wanna be a fag.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

Well, if nothing else, you guys prove that ignorance and idiocy aren't racist or bigoted....lol

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Max Rambone wrote:Well, if nothing else, you guys prove that ignorance and idiocy aren't racist or bigoted....lol

~archi
LOL
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Post by Kerafym »

Honestly, I've never called a black person a wookiee, and if I've ever called a homo a fag it wasn't related.
When I call people niggers or faggots, it generally means idiot or annoying person.

You say, "Wouldn't it just be easier to say idiot or annoying person and not offend people," but I say, "Wouldn't it be easier to just not be offended by the word wookiee (or faggot)?"
Words themselves have no power, no meaning. The power comes from your interpretation of the word. You could walk up to someone who doesn't know any English and tell them that you hate them and hope their entire family dies from some terrible disease. If you say it with a smile, they'll think you're complimenting them. If you scream, "I love you," they'll think you're some kind of crazy violent person.
It's not the words that are offending you guys, it's your interpretation of the words. If everybody started using these voodoo words that people think are so evil, everybody would start to accept that words have no power. At least, that's why I believe.

Until then, I think I'll have fun making people rage on the internet because they think I'm an ignorant biggot when they're the ones so ignorantly getting offended over text in a game.
Hi. I'm angry on the internet.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Not exactly how I think, but still well said.

Duo

Post by Duo »

Kerafym wrote:Honestly, I've never called a black person a wookiee, and if I've ever called a homo a fag it wasn't related.
When I call people niggers or faggots, it generally means idiot or annoying person.

You say, "Wouldn't it just be easier to say idiot or annoying person and not offend people," but I say, "Wouldn't it be easier to just not be offended by the word wookiee (or faggot)?"
Words themselves have no power, no meaning. The power comes from your interpretation of the word. You could walk up to someone who doesn't know any English and tell them that you hate them and hope their entire family dies from some terrible disease. If you say it with a smile, they'll think you're complimenting them. If you scream, "I love you," they'll think you're some kind of crazy violent person.
It's not the words that are offending you guys, it's your interpretation of the words. If everybody started using these voodoo words that people think are so evil, everybody would start to accept that words have no power. At least, that's why I believe.

Until then, I think I'll have fun making people rage on the internet because they think I'm an ignorant biggot when they're the ones so ignorantly getting offended over text in a game.
wookiee

Kain
The Twelve Year Old

Post by Kain »

Kerafym wrote:Honestly, I've never called a black person a wookiee, and if I've ever called a homo a fag it wasn't related.

Gotta admit I agree with this statement. Worded way better if I had try to do it.
Good Job.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

validation.jpg
Eventus stultorum magister.

MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

For the love of Mike... *smacks head* I can't believe you even put this up for debate. Its like you are running everything by committee. If you want a little decency on your server you need to make a stand and say this far and no further.

You end up debating whether or not you should ban an annoying jerk like Vaeder when it could have been handled by an admin with some initiative. Instead you make an actual issue out of it. I don't mean to be insulting by this but I can't think of more concise way to say it. Grow some balls and say no.