If you want to get picked in pugs more often

Discuss our favorite gametype.
GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

If you want to get picked in pugs more often

Post by GUARD!AN »

This is by no means a hostile or threatening message, merely tough love and honesty at its finest. We want you to play, but not if we keep seeing you make the same mistakes over and over again.

1. Start playing useful classes
You guys have got to learn how to play reborn boss and Demo, possibly even jan. All of us veterans are sick of having to tell you to get off snowtrooper, or worse, lando. And we don't wanna hear "Oh I suck at that class so I won't play it." And sorry Turkey, but when it comes down to it, all in all snowtrooper and chewie are USELESS classes unless your name begins with Tensor or Turkey or Hawk or possibly jakab/jawa. Everyone else who I have seen try to yews chewie is just too easy to dodge.

2. LEARN SOMETHING when you spec veterans
Too often we see you make mistakes that you really wouldn't have made if you had specced us and paid attention in the first place. Like almost all of you start spamming the stations on Des when there is a bike inside and RIGHT NEXT TO A CONSOLE and we are trying to get it away, only to watch you blow it up and make us lose the objective. THE ABSOLUTE WORST is watching you kill the enemy jan on hoth over and over again for perfect spawns.

3. Learn to take orders
Whether it is me asking you to kill reborn bosses first before the walker, or Duo telling you to touch, or Jawa telling you to sk, LISTEN. No one likes having a teammate that doesn't listen to orders, and there is no shame in taking orders. Everyone gives eachother orders all the time, regardless of who is better, but people will remember if you don't listen to orders, because that is a reflection on how much of a team player you are.

4. Stop maxing yourself
We don't like fighting 2 v 3 every spawn. /cg_drawtimer 1 and /kill for more playtime and less spec time.

5. Be a team player and stick with your team
Unless your name starts with Wufei Chang, stay and fight with your team. If you are running off hiding in random places we won't appreciate fighting 2 v 3, especially when you try to ambush them later and realize you aren't at Wufei's level and can't take an entire team on by surprise outnumbered. We hate dying for a long spawn, and realizing you weren't around and then wondering where you are.

6. Don't undermine your teammates' efforts
Whether it is standing on the jan's shields and letting the offense through, or getting in the way of saber throws when we are trying to hit an enemy, sometimes it is better to keep your distance, while still staying with the team for support.

7. Don't be selfish, everything you do is for the TEAM, not the scoreboard
If someone's getting a lot of kills in a particular area, don't run up and try to get kills away from them. Guard a different area. This may sound like selfishness and kill whoring, but it's not. Chink gets by most often because an entire team is vying for points, and not particularly paying attention to where he is. Siege is about winning, not about points. Having the most points on a losing team still makes you a loser.

8. Know what your responsibilities are as your current class
Each objective, each map, each team, each class has a generally understood job, that often times we take for granted that most of us know them already. This is also something that can be learned by paying attention to what we are doing in the first place. As Duo mentioned, sometimes responsibilities are relative, like getting the hangar turrets. This can also be applied to things like priority on being ammo'd by the jan. Always let the wookiee get the cans first.

9. We don't really give a fuck during a pug if you think something is effective that we don't, sorry to say
If we are trying to tell you that offense snowtrooper isn't going to do shit on the codes objective, again, LISTEN. Sure maybe it worked for you on Tempest, but if we are telling you it won't work on Impulse, we expect you to listen and switch off within the next couple of spawns.

10. Don't make ignorant comments or accusations
This doesn't really have anything to do with your gameplay specifically, but no one wants someone on their team who they highly suspect may be legally retarded. No, you weren't pulled into the lava cause of wallhax, and no, you are not the best thing to happen to the world since sliced bread.

11. Ventrilo is a plus
We will prefer someone who is currently in the vent server over someone who isn't. It's been a long time since we have had to type out lots of orders to many people (granted they made a bunch of us into really speedy typers back in the day, me especially :)), but with the advent of binding a push to talk key and just saying our orders, we prefer the convenience now. And who doesn't want to hear Kera/Duo/Jawa raging in real time, it's quite funny actually.

12. Don't play every game to win - play every game to learn.
If you're more focused on getting better than you are on winning, you'll probably pick a few things up, even if you lose. If you're focused completely on winning, and getting frustrated when you get stopped or completely blown past, you probably won't notice WHY you're getting stopped or completely blown past. Notice what the opposing team is doing to really mess you up. Sometimes it's just flat out better play, better aim, better teamwork, etc., but sometimes they actually go about attacking or defending the objective in a different way than you do. If that's the case, remember it. You don't need to be spec to notice what the other team's doing differently.

13. Don't be afraid to ask for help
Ask a veteran for help. And before you do that, make a list of SPECIFIC things you want to improve upon, be it "Killing people with Dets better," or something as broad as, "What am I supposed to do as my preferred class on the Codes objective." But do NOT just say, "im bad make me good," we wouldn't know where to start.

If there is anything else I forgot feel free to help me out here, but I feel this post was very necessary. Much <3 to everyone.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Re: If you want to get picked in pugs more often

Post by Max Rambone »

I agree with most of that...

Especially specing vets.

Don't get all pissy and spend your time making fun of peeps cause you weren't picked.

Watch and take notes if you have to. :roll: I've spent quite a bit of time specing and I still learn interesting things. Particularly watching Guard and Jawa jan on Hoth.

We really could yews more peeps that can decently jan.

BTW, thanks, Guard for taking the burden of jan-ing off me from time to time. Guard's the only one who can jan better than I can AND not bitch about how I do it. He also has the balls to jan so I can actually go out and play some other classes in pugs.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it. :D

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.

Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Post by Kerafym »

Ask a veteran for help. And before you do that, make a list of SPECIFIC things you want to improve upon, be it "Killing people with Dets better," or something as broad as, "What am I supposed to do as my preferred class on the Codes objective." But do NOT just say, "im bad make me good," we wouldn't know where to start.
Guardian and Wufei are pretty good at everything and are generally willing to help people who ask. Go to them first. I'm also willing to help players who are willing to learn, and who know what they want to learn. Other people, I'm sure, are willing to help as well. But make sure you know what you want to work on before hand, otherwise we can't help you. Be dedicated in your desire to play well, it's how Guard/Tensor/Chink/Jawa/Waflz/Duo/Myself/etc. all got good.
Hi. I'm angry on the internet.

wafflz

Post by wafflz »

Max Rambone wrote:I agree with most of that...

Especially specing vets.

Don't get all pissy and spend your time making fun of peeps cause you weren't picked.

Watch and take notes if you have to. :roll: I've spent quite a bit of time specing and I still learn interesting things. Particularly watching Guard and Jawa jan on Hoth.

We really could yews more peeps that can decently jan.

BTW, thanks, Guard for taking the burden of jan-ing off me from time to time. Guard's the only one who can jan better than I can AND not bitch about how I do it. He also has the balls to jan so I can actually go out and play some other classes in pugs.

Thanks, I REALLY appreciate it. :D

~archi
Duo and I are both excellent jans, though I can play pretty much any class effectively, so that's not saying much.

dadeus

Post by dadeus »

U left out change ur alias. Because some captains lable u and will never give u credit for improving. Sorry guard but it is not just improving skills. There is politics. And attitude. I have seen korri pugs stopped at 4v4 with 12 in server cause of someones attitude toward someone else.

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Post by Turky »

And sorry Turkey, but when it comes down to it, all in all snowtrooper and chewie are USELESS classes unless your name begins with Tensor or Turkey or Hawk or possibly jakab/jawa. Everyone else who I have seen try to yews chewie is just too easy to dodge.
ironic that you began that with "sorry turkey" =P

but how often do I tell people to snowtrooper or chewie? other than at hangar where they'll get frozen a lot as a demo because they DO suck.

it's naps like VDS who try to be like me and fail.

C2PO

Post by C2PO »

What? I think on Hoth snowtrooper is a very useful class, O at the codes and shield generator objectives, Defense is good at the codes, shield generator, command center, and hangar. snowtrooper on Korriban and Desert though, not so much. lando can be useless at most times though, I'll agree with that.

I really do need someone to train me, I should ask around. Thx for the advice Kera.

Now that's the tastiest crunch I ever hoid.

tens0r

Post by tens0r »

Stop playing USELESS CLASSES.

reborn boss is the best class you could play. If you learn reborn boss you can play O and D. There are a bunch of people that are good demo's but they suck when it comes to offense. Learn reborn boss. This is reborn boss Academy!

Only classes to be played are:

Hoth: reborn boss/Demo/jan. snowtrooper vs ATST or if you have too many rax jorises and are constantly getting frozen. I would say lando but you all aren't good enough (yet?).

Des: reborn boss/Demo/jan/lando

Korri: jan/chewie/Demo/snowtrooper

STFU and listen to people that are WAY better than you. Don't say "Oh I can't play reborn boss, I suck at it." How do you expect to get any better? I tell afro EVERY day to get off snowtrooper and he NEVER listens. Listen to people that are good, they know whats best.

Stop calling WH's on everyone every time you die....CoW was calling myself, saberdude, and falco WH's every time he died on Korri. Your a shitty noob, stfu and learn what WH's are before you start calling people out on them.

If you have fun doing these and wanna be a noob, go ahead and keep doing the same thing. Just don't whine when you don't get picked cause you suck.

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Post by Turky »

I'll say one thing about playing reborn boss...

Almost three years ago, back in GT/exiles days when pugs were also rampant, I had very little experience playing reborn boss. I decided to pick it up one day and got decent pretty fast. Just aim the saber ahead of the target, and adjust. didn't even have to pull.

Duo

Post by Duo »

Good list Guard. The only thing I would add is that you should at all times be aware of what you are currently contributing to your team. Ask yourself, "Am I killing people?" "Am I freezing the rax jorises for my teammates so they don't die?" "What am I currently contributing to my team's effort?" A lot of the time we have noobs on our teams that don't contribute anything most of the time.

Also, be aware of what you should be doing as the class you are playing. For example, if you are the only O demo @ hangar, you should be shooting turrets because it's easiest for YOU to do it since you have an E11 and nobody else on your team does. If you aren't shooting turrets, then the jan is forced to and can't freeze the enemies or take out mines as a result. Good players expect you to do things like that, and will often NOT do something because they expect you will do it since you are playing the more-suited class. We often say things in vent like, "why is this idiot <name> doing <something> when he's the <class> and I'm a <different class!>"

Oh yeah, and get on vent so we can tell you what to do.