Capital Punishment

Talk about whatever you wish.
Ramshi

Capital Punishment

Post by Ramshi »

I actually want to know what you people out there (especially Americans) think of the death penalty.

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Re: Capital Punishment

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

The Almighty Beavis explains my view perfectly - "yews the chair. THE CHAIR!" This is in reference to the elecrtic chair, a pleasant device that kills someone by cooking them inside out. Personally, I prefer firing squad if I could get a job being on it. I get to shoot a gun and kill criminals. What more could I ask for? Maybe free ammo.

I also thing the death penalty should be more used, particularly with overtly violent or painful deaths (though this part does go against the Bill of Rights, so we can't yews it. Unlike our 'wonderful' President, I actually respect the Constitution.), and some in public. Works as a wonderful scare tactic of why not to commit a crime. A slap on the wrists just doesn't do much.

Roflraptor
LoLdIn0

Post by Roflraptor »

The death penalty exists solely to satiate primitive human desires. It doesn't prevent crimes or deter criminals.

Life imprisonment for those meriting the harshest of sentences.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Turquoise Dragon wrote:Unlike our 'wonderful' President, I actually respect the Constitution.)

We should start apologizing to criminals when we catch them in the act, and let them continue with their work.

I support the death penalty, as I think it functions as a good deterrent from crime. I know there are studies that say the death penalty has no effect on deterrence, but those studies are often from years past before prisons became a safe haven where you could go get a warm bed, three meals a day, free health care, time to play with your pals, time to go to the gym, some prisons even have television. Instead of going to work for a living, simply kill someone and your responsibilities get handed down to the tax payers! Brilliant! Of course, even in states that still have the death penalty - it's A.) Rarely used, and B.) After a 5 year trial, and 20 years on death row what's the point? IMO the death penalty should be more heavily used is cases of first & second degree murder - and people convicted should be whacked the next day. Instead of paying for their luxurious time in prison, lets thin the crowd of the really bad eggs, save some dough, and cut down on overcrowding of prisons all at the same time.

Just my 2c.

CHEW

Post by CHEW »

I support the death pealty, but it needs a major overhaul. It costs more, on average, to keep someone on death row for 20 years than it does to keep someone for life in prison. Until we can cut the bullshit and get right down to business with death row inmates, we should just stick to prison formats like angola prison.

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

Idea: If you get convicted of murder, you get killed in the same way that you killed your victim. Shoot someone in the head, you get shot in the head. You dissolve someone in acid, you get dissolved in acid. Then again, some methods might violate 'cruel and unuaual punishment' (what another beautifully vauge typical leagal term), so that might not be able to apply to much. Could also default to firing squad. I'd be happy to apply for the post. :D

CHEW

Post by CHEW »

That indeed would violate the cruel and unusual punishment rule.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Chew and I agree on something.

piipe
Beautiful Dude

Post by piipe »

nobody should have the autority to kill someone else

CHEW

Post by CHEW »

piipe wrote:nobody should have the autority to kill someone else

So what do we do with people who kill people? ask them to politely stop it?