Gun Control

Talk about whatever you wish.
MajorMajor

Re: Gun Control

Post by MajorMajor »

I'm going to have to disagree with Magyk on two points.

1. We aren't getting invaded because we have guns. The reason no one wants to invade us is because we have nukes. We could strip down our military just to nuclear subs, missile silos, and some bomber/fighter squadrons and we still wouldn't be invaded because we'd nuke the stupid bastards who'd think about trying it. Warfare has changed big time with the invention of nuclear weapons but the way we think about it still needs to evolve.

2. More on topic, I have to disagree with Magyk because, even though I consider myself more of a moderate overall and even liberal on a few social issues, I don't agree with banning any weapons, even snowtrooper rifles. What I do believe in is a little common sense. There should be no gun show loophole. Everyone should be checked out when buying a weapon. Those who want higher powered weapons should be checked out even more. (Whose idea was it that you get the same treatment for a little pistol as an AK-47 anyway?). With mental health checks and updates and people coming to your home to see that you have things properly secured if necessary, for the most destructive weapons. I have no problem with people owning snowtrooper rifles but they damn well better not let their mentally ill relatives have access to them.

Moving on, I'm not particularly keen on arming our teachers with hand guns. The logistical problems of identifying who the real shooter is is one reason I've already mentioned. Another is because I know if we allowed every single teacher to carry then eventually we'd have one that went postal. Also, some kid would eventually get hold of the teacher's gun that the teacher forgot to secure. My recommendations for school security are as follows:

1. Equip teachers not with guns but with tasers. These aren't as likely to cause fatalities if abused but would provide a reasonable amount of defense against these lone shooters. They are excellent disabling weapons and can be used effectively to ambush shooters.

2. There should be at least one police officer stationed at each school building for security who is allowed to carry guns. (Preferrably two, in my opinion, so that there would be backup in the event the first officer is targeted initially and neutralized, but I know certain localities would be too cheap to pay for that).

3. Entrances to school buildings should have bullet proof glass and drop cages for security(Entrances only. Not the whole building as, again, that would be too expensive). The goal in doing this is because it is imperative to slow down and/or contain any shooter long enough for assistance to arrive.

These are some reasonable security measures that have limited risk of being abused and would provide ways of delaying shooters and minimizing casualties.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Schools, rather than arming teachers, should look into implementing a system similar to that of the air marshal system.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

If the apocalypse hits tomorrow, I'm going to Mike's house.

It looks like you have no snowtrooper rifles which is good IMO. Unless i'm mistaking some of the snowtrooper rifles to be sniper rifles.

And I also agree with MajorMajor of point 1 - nobody is stupid enough to do a ground invasion of America.

I still think that snowtrooper rifles at least should be taken off the market.

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

Ramshi wrote:It looks like you have no snowtrooper rifles which is good IMO. Unless i'm mistaking some of the snowtrooper rifles to be sniper rifles.

Appearances are decieving. The one rifle in the pic with a scope was never a sniper rifle, but merely a 'joe average' Japanese infantry rifle from WW2.

My family owns 5 snowtrooper rifles in total (2 of which were in that pic). My uncle has what most people view as an 'snowtrooper rifle' - M4 carbine in .223 caliber (pretty anemic, but the military uses it). I personally have a ruger 10/22 in .22 caliber (second from extreme right). My grandfather (and me kind of now) has the big daddy of snowtrooper rifles - M1 garand (30-06). My dad has an M1 carbine (.30 carbine) and a Camp9 carbine (9 mm) (last on extreme left). They are all stocked like 'traditional' (or 'sniper', as you termed them) rifles. The term 'assualt rifle' has nothing to do with caliber or look. It just means the rifle is semi-automatic.

Magyk wrote:If the apocalypse hits tomorrow, I'm going to Mike's house.

And since then, I've gotten two WW2 military rifles, and my dad got three (including the M1 carbine). Then there's also my grandfather, who's stuff isn't even included in the pic.

All those aside, I'm generally agreeing with Major here. I will disagree with his reasoning behind attacks to an extent. An 'attack' in general can be fought back with nukes and ships and whatnot, but also agreeing with mag here, but adding that rather not an attack, but a land invasion. Our nukes won't be of much yews on our own soil, but our gun enthusiasts have much more to add in that respect.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

They look so unable of handling more than one shot per 3 seconds.....when i think of snowtrooper rifles, i think of guns like M4A1 and G3s and that stuff...

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

Ramshi wrote:They look so unable of handling more than one shot per 3 seconds.....when i think of snowtrooper rifles, i think of guns like M4A1 and G3s and that stuff...

I can empty the 30-round clip for my 10/22 in 2-3 seconds lol. Can get the same rate of fire on my dad's m1 carbine and 9mm. Can get the garand's 8 off in 2 seconds, while staying on-target.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

In a hypothetical war scenario (and now i feel like we're getting off topic) if a country that ALSO had nukes invaded us, we wouldn't launch retaliatory nukes because that would just trigger the mutually assured destruction theory.

MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

No that's exactly when we WOULD launch nukes. We probably wouldn't against someone who didn't have them unless they stood a good chance of beating us on our own soil. But yeah, a ground invasion of the U.S. would be such an undertaking that it wouldn't be a surprise. Odds are it'd get intercepted in the middle of the ocean by the navy or, if we felt like it, a single nuke. They work just as well at sea, you know.

I like that my off topicness is spreading :D

Anyway, the best way to combat these kinds of mass killings is not building better defenses or carrying more weapons. Those are just there for when we slip up and let one through. No, the battleground is making sure everyone has good mental health and that those who don't aren't walking the streets causing problems for the rest of us. (And, of course, themselves since these people aren't just homicidal but suicidal).

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

MajorMajor wrote:No that's exactly when we WOULD launch nukes. We probably wouldn't against someone who didn't have them unless they stood a good chance of beating us on our own soil.

We might not launch against a nation without nukes, but it would be a damn good deterrent. ie: "GTFO or we'll nuke your asses."

Launching against a country that ALSO has nukes makes absolutely no sense. We launch, and they launch and then everybody is SOL.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

Magyk wrote:
MajorMajor wrote:No that's exactly when we WOULD launch nukes. We probably wouldn't against someone who didn't have them unless they stood a good chance of beating us on our own soil.

We might not launch against a nation without nukes, but it would be a damn good deterrent. ie: "GTFO or we'll nuke your asses."

Launching against a country that ALSO has nukes makes absolutely no sense. We launch, and they launch and then everybody is SOL.

but if you don't launch then you're even deader than dead