Tolerance

Talk about whatever you wish.
Laser
Kopite

Re: Tolerance

Post by Laser »

Archi leaving the forums because people are pro-gun control. Quite pathetic when you think he's a grown man

People raging so much about gun control just adds to my opinion that people shouldn't be allowed guns
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

LOLOLOLOL

My engineer buddy :D

Engineers foreva

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

Engineering's boring....Way too easy to be entertaining.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

ceasar do you even know how to quote

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I can quote im just too lazy to. Easier to ctrl+v and hit quote.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

open bracket quote="x" close bracket blah blah blah open bracket /quote close bracket

MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

Tolerance is an interesting concept. Why should one tolerate a conflicting viewpoint? I'm not entirely certain one should or that it is even how many people are "wired". Tolerance eases the tension between two parties but it doesn't solve the conflict.

Resolution of the conflict usually doesn't seem to matter because often the conflict is about matters such as religion which have no definite answers. Therefore, the conflict can never be resolved except for the annihilation or conversion of one side.

Also, conflict can revolve around the debate over whether a religion has definite answers or if it is the correct one. People will simply choose to believe their side is right regardless of any evidence. This is ok and to be expected since that is part of what belief is. The problem is it also makes attempting to find resolution through negotiation and reason impossible. This means trying to convince any believer to be tolerant is impossible unless it is already part of their belief system.

I think it is important to understand that belief doesn't have to be limited to religion. It can be in any ideology. Atheists, politicians, rascits, bullies, or random guys with soap boxes can be just as locked into their belief systems as those who follow any religion.

On a personal note, I don't think I'm tolerant at all. I believe there is a correct way of doing all things. We may not know what it is all the time but we should strive to find it if we don't. By doing so we can get closer to perfection everytime we try. People who just stop trying to find it and claim we should all just learn to live with each other piss me off. You can't live with the Aztec who wants to sacrafice you. At least not for very long.

What I am, is rational, reasonable, logical. If you can prove to me you have the correct way of doing things, or at least a more correct way, and eliminate all competing possibilities then I will change my view to yours. In that way, I am a user of tolerance. I tolerate people only because they may eventually prove their views to be correct or it may be possible to convince them I am right in the future. Alternatively, I tolerate other views because it would be a waste of my time to attempt to change them, or eliminating them would be inconvenient, too bloody, or against my moral code.

Tolerance is an interesting concept. It just might not work so well in practice with other people. ;)

Axiw

Post by Axiw »

MajorMajor for president

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Ramshi wrote:open bracket quote="x" close bracket blah blah blah open bracket /quote close bracket

Quote button UR?

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

Magyk wrote:
Ramshi wrote:open bracket quote="x" close bracket blah blah blah open bracket /quote close bracket

Quote button UR?

huh?