Windows 7

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

Laser
Kopite

Re: Windows 7

Post by Laser »

sometimes these threads feel like Facebook when people are online at the same time
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Helaku

Post by Helaku »

@jerk
Yeah, I prepared and already compensated...Had to format XP recently so I left 225gb free HDD space for my data, and that disc is now Windows 7
Also, my PC is on the x86 version (32-bit) but it's running pretty nicely
@ pipe
MS put more effort in the child - fuckup - prevention this time so unless you know what you're doing, you can't really fuck up stuff as easy as in XP. ( even if it includes preventing angry kids from playing games* )
@ laser
You're right about the fb

Last note:
I upgraded to Win7 to test it and yews it for the non-gaming business if it keeps on working, so I kept my old XP installation for the gaming rounds ( which really aren't as often as they were before )
* That sentence so reminded me of myself in the earlier days :)

**edit**
I don't really know what I just wrote above, but I've got a good hunch about Win7
Imaginez une forme. Pas comme les autres. Une forme qui peut influencer toutes les autres formes. Une forme qui peut changer de forme à une autre. Imaginez vous en êtes propriétaire. Ouvrez vos yeux.
:-)

j3rk
A nub is In Ur Memories

Post by j3rk »

If it's not too late you should reinstall the x64 flavor. It's more stable and runs faster than the 32bit. 32bit isn't bad by any means, x64 is just better. I'm just sayin'.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

jerk explain to me what the difference is in idiot language, I have x64
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Helaku

Post by Helaku »

I was never the hardware expert, but I think not any PC can install x64 or x86
It's determined by your processor...You can check your through XP's Device Manager and looking up processor details unless your My Computer properties doesn't show in General Tab...
I think my 32-bit processor wouldn't run win7 x-64 but it may be possible for a 64-bit processor to run a handicapped 32bit version...At least that's how I got it...I hope I got it right.
Imaginez une forme. Pas comme les autres. Une forme qui peut influencer toutes les autres formes. Une forme qui peut changer de forme à une autre. Imaginez vous en êtes propriétaire. Ouvrez vos yeux.

j3rk
A nub is In Ur Memories

Post by j3rk »

Well, let's see... In really basic and slightly inaccurate/over-simplified terms, imagine a 32 lane foot race track versus a 64 lane track. If 64 dudes were racing down a 32 lane track, they'd have to be 2 dudes deep and the dudes behind obviously will finish last. If those 64 dudes were racing on a 64 lane track, all of them will finish faster.

There's a lot more to it of course... Like 64bit OSes can yews more RAM, software written to take advantage of 64bit OSes perform faster than 32bit softwares, even though 32bit software like JKA still works fine.

But here's the deal breaker... As Helaku alluded to, it does depend on whether or not your CPU supports 64bit processing. If it doesn't, don't worry, Windows will tell you right away and won't let you install.

A 64bit CPU can install a x86 (32bit) OS (it's just dumb IMO), but an x86 CPU can not install a 64bit OS.
4 8 15 16 23 42

Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Post by Turky »

The one drawback that x64 used to have is that there wasn't good driver support. But there is now...

Helaku

Post by Helaku »

j3rk wrote: A 64bit CPU can install a x86 (32bit) OS (it's just dumb IMO), but an x86 CPU can not install a 64bit OS.
That means I'm right, right?

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

j3rk wrote:Well, let's see... In really basic and slightly inaccurate/over-simplified terms, imagine a 32 lane foot race track versus a 64 lane track. If 64 dudes were racing down a 32 lane track, they'd have to be 2 dudes deep and the dudes behind obviously will finish last. If those 64 dudes were racing on a 64 lane track, all of them will finish faster.

There's a lot more to it of course... Like 64bit OSes can yews more RAM, software written to take advantage of 64bit OSes perform faster than 32bit softwares, even though 32bit software like JKA still works fine.

But here's the deal breaker... As Helaku alluded to, it does depend on whether or not your CPU supports 64bit processing. If it doesn't, don't worry, Windows will tell you right away and won't let you install.

A 64bit CPU can install a x86 (32bit) OS (it's just dumb IMO), but an x86 CPU can not install a 64bit OS.
64 = 2 * 32, leading some people to believe that 64 bit systems are twice as fast... under certain workloads they can be faster, but under most they're within 10% of the 32 bit system. The advantage is you get twice as much precision at the same clock rate, which can be useful mostly for mathematical and simulation programs. Early 64 bit games touted higher resolution textures and whatnot, but the overall experience was similar.

But yea, the biggest deal is more addressable RAM.

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

thank you, I am now ready to become a computer geek.
Less QQ more Pew Pew