jka crashes when trying to join any server

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Re: jka crashes when trying to join any server

Post by GUARD!AN »

Everyone who has problems running JKA seems to have AMD graphics cards =/

I switched over to Nvidia a long time ago and have never had any problems except the need to upgrade every 3 years or so.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

NVidia>All.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nvidia shipped millions of defective GPUs for years, denied it, got sued and lost, and as with all class action lawsuits, offered something worthless in compensation. My laptop GPU is dying and when it's gone I'll have a $400 brick that is completely worthless. For obvious reasons, I have no intention of giving Nvidia any of my money for at least the next 5 years.
Intel may be an evil hardware monopoly but at least they fix things when they screw up.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Been running Nvidia hardware for 9 years now, no problems and I've only ever had to update once due to the quality of their products. Went from one nvidia 7800 gt to two dual linked about two years ago.

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

Pls don't start an argument about this, I've read enoguh on IT sites... btw Xeon processors are made by Intel :P

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Maximus wrote:Nvidia shipped millions of defective GPUs for years, denied it, got sued and lost, and as with all class action lawsuits, offered something worthless in compensation. My laptop GPU is dying and when it's gone I'll have a $400 brick that is completely worthless. For obvious reasons, I have no intention of giving Nvidia any of my money for at least the next 5 years.
Intel may be an evil hardware monopoly but at least they fix things when they screw up.

That's why you don't buy a cheapass laptop for 400 bucks, much less play games on it :P
(Every laptop I have ever owned that I played video games regularly on, ATI or Nvidia, has never lasted more than 2-3 years. Even the ones I spent 2k+ on)

Magyk wrote:Been running Nvidia hardware for 9 years now, no problems and I've only ever had to update once due to the quality of their products. Went from one nvidia 7800 gt to two dual linked about two years ago.

Yeah I switched in 2009 and have never looked back since my GTX 280.

aradorasxeon wrote:Pls don't start an argument about this, I've read enoguh on IT sites... btw Xeon processors are made by Intel :P

Haha yeah I have a machine at work with two physical xeon processors, each are quad core. It's a beast :D

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

GUARD!AN wrote:That's why you don't buy a cheapass laptop for 400 bucks, much less play games on it :P
(Every laptop I have ever owned that I played video games regularly on, ATI or Nvidia, has never lasted more than 2-3 years. Even the ones I spent 2k+ on)

You misunderstand. I paid $1337 for this laptop (I kid you not), that was a refurb. It'll be 6 years old this summer, and the only thing that has gone on it are the usual things (fans wear out, battery dies, etc). Since then I've upgraded it with Win 7, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 11n wireless, etc. It's current value would still be $400 today if it didn't have this manufacturing defect. I haven't had any reason to upgrade since a significant upgrade would cost well over $1k even today.

Yeah I switched in 2009 and have never looked back since my GTX 280.

Kera switched to AMD for his last card since 3 out of 4 of his nvidia cards died due to overheating. My two previous desktop cards were Nvidia, and the most recent an ATI, and I've never had issues with any of them. The Nvidias were louder though.

Haha yeah I have a machine at work with two physical xeon processors, each are quad core. It's a beast :D

Having a Xeon means you pay double to triple over a standard desktop series processor just because Intel tested them a little better, even though most of them are the same architecture and perform just the same. If you truly need dual socket you don't have a choice, but otoh you can't overclock a Xeon (not easily), making it more useful for multithreaded apps than single threaded.

Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Post by Kerafym »

Yeah I'm not much a fan of NVidia anymore. My brother's been using them for like 10+ years and has never had a problem, but 3 of my last 4 blew up. I know a LOT of people who have never had a problem with NVidia and swear by them - that's their choice. If you've never had a problem with them, then you've never had one with them.

Silver Absolution

Post by Silver Absolution »

How can someone blow that thing up!? :o :shock: :?

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

i heard that before, not really an explosion, but they can get on fire. There was a big argument when starcraft 2 was realased, and some vga cards just simply got on fire... because there was no FPS limit in the game, so in the menu you could see 64000 FPS (no this is not just a big number it's reality I read this on an IT site)