ATTN: Anyone with server experience

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

what_console

Re: ATTN: Anyone with server experience

Post by what_console »

Ramshi wrote:
think outside the square to find the pear shaped bug.

what sort of bugs are pear shaped

They are bugs that make things go pear-shaped, hence pear-shaped bug.
Was a bit obtuse of me, but seemed right for this discussion where most of the items seemed
obtuse.

"Going pear-shaped" meaning taken from, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pear-shaped

The third meaning is mostly limited to the United Kingdom, Ireland and Australasia. It describes a situation that went awry, perhaps horribly wrong. A failed bank robbery, for example, could be said to have "gone pear-shaped". Less well known in the US it generated some media interest when British politician Margaret Thatcher used the phrase[citation needed] in front of the world's press at one of her first meetings with U.S. President Ronald Reagan, with many reporters being unsure of the meaning of the term. The origin for this yews of the term is in dispute. The OED cites its origin as within the Royal Air Force; as of 2003 the earliest citation there is a quote in the 1983 book Air War South Atlantic.[1] Others date it to the RAF in the 1940s, from pilots attempting to perform aerial manoeuvres such as loops. These are difficult to form perfectly, and are usually noticeably distorted—i.e., pear-shaped.

Ranger Bob
troll

Post by Ranger Bob »

-_-

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

Hi, Professor.

~archi

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

so we have to....OHHHH i geddit

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

I tried all suggestions, I have a feeling it might be related to ICMP settings on Azure...

Thinking of calling Ravensoft directly to ask about how the server to master handshake works, I don't know if either Raven nor Microsoft foresaw this implementation of a game server when they were making their products.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

GUARD!AN wrote:I tried all suggestions, I have a feeling it might be related to ICMP settings on Azure...

Thinking of calling Ravensoft directly to ask about how the server to master handshake works, I don't know if either Raven nor Microsoft foresaw this implementation of a game server when they were making their products.

cause they never knew that smart guard would make a beast server

j3rk
A nub is In Ur Memories

Post by j3rk »

You probably wouldn't have this problem on Linux... oh snap! (jk) Can you ping the master servers from beastpug?

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

j3rk wrote:You probably wouldn't have this problem on Linux... oh snap! (jk) Can you ping the master servers from beastpug?

LOL I think Azure has the same limitations for linux based cloud apps. I am actually about to try it on Amazon EC2 and see if that's any better.

Yeah I can ping them. I'll figure it out soon enough. Since no one has experienced any real lag originating from the server (aside from a few hiccups due to my imperfect scalability code, soon to be debugged and fixed hopefully) I'm going to go ahead and consider our server problem resolved 8-)