Minimum requirements

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

Sakke

Minimum requirements

Post by Sakke »

Hi all

I'm considering buying a desktop. However, I realize it's been forever since I looked at specs for desktops so I don't really know what to expect. Like, at all. Any inputs?
Bob: The Danes aren't a major world power, don't particularly hate us to the extent of suicide bombers, and provide no major benefit; therefore we don't pay them much attention.
Kerafym: Did Yoda just try to make fun of my grammar?
wat?

Tomadox

Re: Minimum requirements

Post by Tomadox »

A good computer? Just for browsing, work, or for gaming?
How much are you willing to spend?

A little idea of what I would consider a 'standard' desktop:

Terabyte HD
8 Gigs of Ram
i5 or i7 Processor

That's like a $700 desktop.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

"Minimum requirements" if you meant jk's well then you can go in ask for the cheapest one jk will run on it, probably without problem, if you don't wanna play other games than this, i7 is a total waste also i5.

I don't see why a standard comp needs 8 GB RAM, tho if you wanna play new games, ignore what i have just said and listen to tom's suggestion

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

not windows 8

Tomadox

Post by Tomadox »

Ramshi wrote:not windows 8

You should be able to downgrade from Windows 8 to 7 if you get a computer with 8 pre-installed, but otherwise I'm 100% in agreement.

Sakke

Post by Sakke »

Thanks for the fast replies.

What I will yews it for will probably be the following:
- MATLAB programming (possibly also other programming soon - does anyone know anything about SDK??)
- Gaming (JKA, Dota2, HoN and the like, possibly also some newer games at some points)
- Other work

I think that's about it.
Bob: The Danes aren't a major world power, don't particularly hate us to the extent of suicide bombers, and provide no major benefit; therefore we don't pay them much attention.
Kerafym: Did Yoda just try to make fun of my grammar?
wat?

szycho

Post by szycho »

So 8 gb ram for sure. It's also thinking about future, since you need loads of ram even if you only yews your browser.
After just booting computer I yews ~4gb/8. I know it's kinda overloaded, but normally i have only McAfee, xfire, fcb messenger and some drivers in background. My friend's clean system uses less than 2gb, but I'm certain it will increase damn quickly. But anyway I don't see point of having more than 8 now, unless you really yews only very strong graphics programmes.

i5 or i7? depends what you're using computer for. For example when I code quite much or process massive amounts of photos in PS, then i7 is essential. But unless, strong i5 is even more than enough.

For Matlab programming and some new games obviously strong GPU. Dunno which are best today, but usually more expensive == better.

AND what's most important(which unfortunately I don't have) SSD.
Nothing will increase speed more than ssd disc.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

I don't have a problem with Windows 8. I actually sort of like it. I've just been told not to upgrade to 8.2 because it's terrible.

szycho

Post by szycho »

Magyk wrote:I don't have a problem with Windows 8. I actually sort of like it. I've just been told not to upgrade to 8.2 because it's terrible.

I've heard there are problems with switching currently used dedicated/integrated graphics in Windows 8.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Sadly AMD seems to be on its last leg in the CPU arena so I would no longer recommend one of those.

As the others have said:
Ivy Bridge or Haswell i5 (3000-4000 series); i7 is optional. Only diff is i7 has HyperThreading which shows gains in certain apps; check benchmarks for the apps you will yews most frequently. Close to no difference in games.
8GB RAM
SSD I would say is becoming essential to a "high end" system. You'll notice a far larger speed difference in SSD vs HD than i5 vs i7 or Sandy/Ivy vs Haswell. 120GB SSDs are ~$90 now. Also a 1-2TB HD. SSD has your OS and common apps, HD less common apps and general storage.
For GPU, the best you can afford. I wouldn't go lower than a Geforce 760 or Radeon R9 270X. That's current generation; Geforce 660 or Radeon 7870 on the previous generation.
Windows 7 is still perfectly good; I yews Win 8/8.1 and it works for me.