Pugs and You

Discuss the pug server Impulse.
GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Pugs and You

Post by GUARD!AN »

Impulse is primarily a pug server, so it is a good idea to have knowledge of pugs: both how to play one, and the generally understood rules culture of pugs.

First and foremost, how to play.

First, someone will say in all chat, "Spec or Capt," or something along those lines. If you are new to pugs, it is a good idea to join spectator, or risk being scrutinized and most likely kicked. If someone says "Spec or Kick," it is really not a good idea to stay in game, and you should definitely go spec.

The last two people in game (1 on each team) are now the two captains. Their job is to pistol duel, and then take turns picking players from spec.

To pistol duel:
1. Both players go lando on Hoth, demo on Desert/Cargo, and reborn boss on Korri (Generally decided by two evenly matched classes in health and speed)
2. Shoot the ground if it is a pistol duel, or bow if it is a saber duel, and once both players have acknowledged acceptance of the duel, feel free to attack your opponent.
3. The winning player gets first pick

It is up to the general majority as to how many players will be playing in the pug.

While playing, if a team loses a player (either by lag, afk, or disconnect), if there are any specs, then someone from spec will join the team that is one man down. If there are no specs, then it is the job of the team with an extra player to make one of their own to go spec in a timely manner. So just because you join a server that has a live pug game going late, or if you were not picked from the beginning, does not necessarily mean you will not get to play in the pug.

Generally Understood Siege Pug Rules:
1. Captains should be relatively equal in siege talent, not necessarily in pistol talent though (lol me + tensor)
2. No spec joining
3. No jan self killing/shield spamming
4. Pugs don't generally have more players than a 5 v 5, there are often exceptions for 6 v 6 though.
5. If it is stax, you deal with it, it is also partially your fault for letting shitty captains pick.
6. Spamming is generally frowned upon, not necessarily against the rules. You will likely face much verbal punishment for spamming which more than makes up for admin actions.
7. A restart is only usually allowed if there is a valid reason for it (A defense team forgetting to assign a jan, someone was afk, etc). A valid reason is only valid if the majority agrees that it is valid though, so don't be a whining bitch.

Pretty much everything else as far as rules go is defined by the current group of people playing (stuff like the chewie wookiee trick on cargo, class limits, etc)

Other things you should know:
1. Saying "Spec or Cap" makes you look like a noob, as cap and capt mean two different things.
2. Asking why you can't play will probably warrant a response you would rather not hear.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Cyrano

Re: Pugs and You

Post by Cyrano »

occasionally i try to enter the password and i'm not able to get it. it says, "invalid password" then i usually go on forums, check if pass was changed, then when i go back and enter it again sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. is this because someone locks the server at times?

Wufei Chang

Post by Wufei Chang »

i get that problem, but thats only after i left Tempest....
so i restart jka then go to impulse and im able to join in no problem.
2 Mobile Suits to choose from: Blitz , and Altron

Sakke

Post by Sakke »

Try /password <pass> in the console while in the main menu or join game screen. That might help avoid a restart.
Bob: The Danes aren't a major world power, don't particularly hate us to the extent of suicide bombers, and provide no major benefit; therefore we don't pay them much attention.
Kerafym: Did Yoda just try to make fun of my grammar?
wat?

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Some of the newer guys really need to be directed to this topic tbh.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

And most of the 'older' guys break half the rules....so who gives a shit?

~archi
Last edited by Max Rambone on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eventus stultorum magister.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Max Rambone wrote:And most of the 'older' guys break half the rules....so who gives a shit?

~ardchi
Yeah but at least they know what Spec\Capt means, and how teams are (supposed to be) decided.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

Except...

They don't really unalias....

RS for BS reasons...

Spec join....

jan SK....

But whatever helps their inflated egos.

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

I'm actually going to look into modding myself, and if it doesn't look too annoying to figure out I'll make my own anti-specjoin mod and perhaps various other built in rule enforcers.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

aƒrÒ

Post by aƒrÒ »

Guard have u ever thought of puttin the word "Super" on front of you're name :D?