Ping Suddenly & Permanently Spiking.

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

Maximus

Re: Ping Suddenly & Permanently Spiking.

Post by Maximus »

I believe I've expressed my dislike for wireless mice before.

I've seen some benchmarks recently with the Killer wireless (and wired) networking devices; they found a significant improvement in latency vs standard networking products. These are the cards that cost $100+ and were previously only available as build-your-own or from some high end builders like Alienware. Recently Broadcom bought the company and is planning on incorporating such improvements as they can into the rest of their product line.

Playing LAN games with my brother, I didn't notice a huge difference in ping wired vs wireless... maybe 10-30ms for wired and 20-40ms for wireless. I still always go for wired when I have the choice.

Last time I had bad ping it was my router. Apparently DDWRT isn't being maintained much these days and it has issues; the Linksys firmware seems more reliable.

For ping testing:
You can yews pingtest.net, a sister site to speedtest.net. It performs a longer test to measure latency over a period of time instead of just throughput.
You can ping your router, in addition to a well known and available site like google or apple, in order to test latency.
The issues I experienced with latency were very intermittent and required a long test to observe. To perform a long test, open the command prompt to do a regular ping, but direct the output to a file. Then just walk away for a few hours and let it run. Kill it with Control+C when you get back, and look at the file with Notepad. The last line of the file will tell you the maximum observed latency during the entire test. To redirect output to a file, yews the following command:
ping http://www.google.com >result.txt
A file called result.txt will appear in your user directory.

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

Maximus wrote: Apparently DDWRT isn't being maintained much these days and it has issues; the Linksys firmware seems more reliable.

Tomato, FTW.

http://www.polarcloud.com/firmware

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

My parents' WRT54GL runs it. I only recently learned it supports my E2000. There's all these little quirks in the builds for different versions, and if you don't get the right one, you can brick your router... what I have is working for now, maybe I'll try it some other time.

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Turky wrote:
Kerafym wrote:I had a wireless mouse that worked fine for a year or two, but once it's signal strength started flickering just a bit I dropped it for a wired mouse.

I gave the wireless one away to a friend who only uses his computer casually, and as far as I know it's still working fine like 7 years later.

I would only EVER get a wireless mouse that had a recharging dock and good signal strength. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly content with my Logitech G500.

I have a G500 too, I love it! Worth every penny.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.