ATTN: JKAsiege

See all the latest news. New visitors start here!
aradorasxeon

Re: ATTN: JKAsiege

Post by aradorasxeon »

cool! :D

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

was that also when you first started to learn how to make a website? :P

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Ramshi wrote:was that also when you first started to learn how to make a website? :P

LOL no, but it was my first time working with PHP 8-)

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

GUARD!AN wrote:
Ramshi wrote:was that also when you first started to learn how to make a website? :P

oh is that why this site has a /phpBB3? Gotta google PHP........

GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Post by GUARD!AN »

Ramshi wrote:
GUARD!AN wrote:

oh is that why this site has a /phpBB3? Gotta google PHP........

LOL no I didn't realize when I installed the forums it would be /phpBB3. I know how to change it to http://www.jkasiege.com/forums but I figured it would mess up people who have this website favorited or linked to otherwise. I also figured it was appropriate to give credit to PHPBB3 whom without this website would not be the way it is today!

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

i needa learn html and css and php and all the other coding shit

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

I learned html a long time ago..like 6-7 years ago. I'm sure it's still floating around in my noggin somewhere.

Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Post by Kerafym »

HTML has changed quite a bit. Unless you learned CSS with HTML, your knowledge is probably obsolete. However, it's pretty easy to pick up the new standards and everything if you're already comfortable with the syntax. It took me 2-3 days to completely re-learn HTML with CSS when I did some web design about 4 or 5 years ago.

PHP is a bit different from HTML and CSS. It's a bit more like programming. Think of HTML and CSS as what controls the layout; this color here, a table with these dimensions there, if you will. While you CAN directly put content into your HTML page; it will be static every single time the page loads. This means that, until you manually change the HTML or CSS file, the page will load exactly the same every time.

If you want dynamically changing content, you're going to need something a bit more advanced than HTML and CSS. PHP is one of these options, and it can do a lot of different things. For example, in the case of these forums, it pulls data from a database to display all of the posts associated with each thread. HTML and CSS cannot do this, however PHP can. PHP takes all of this information and creates a dynamic webpage with all of the information from each of the posts in the thread.

PHP is pretty much only web based, so I wouldn't really call it "programming" as much as just web design, but it is partially based on a couple of different "real" programming languages, so if you learn PHP it'd be easy-ish to transition to something like C++, Java, etc.

Axiw

Post by Axiw »

Happy birthday! Hopefully it'll live for several more years :D I'll try to play more siege later this year :) New games haven't made jka obsolete but you can't play the game alone... :shock:

<offtopic>I know HTML and CSS well enough but I just edit existing templates and don't really create anything from scratch. I'm pretty new to PHP (and programming) but I'm learning more atm. :geek: </offtopic>

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

tyvm kera i'll defs needa store that somewhere for later yews :D