Talk about whatever you wish.
GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Re: Gun Control

Post by GUARD!AN »

Wanderer wrote:
Magyk wrote:If the apocalypse hits tomorrow

:roll:

Luckily it was one anti-climactic apocalypse 8-)

Anyways, in regards to guns and mass shootings, the cause is simple: nutjobs are getting their hands on guns and shouldn't be.

The problem is also simple. These mentally/emotionally unstable individuals are not getting the help they need.

Back when I was in college, I was a resident adviser in my senior year, the older student who stays in a freshman dorm and is there for support/guidance/friendship for the new students as they become adjusted to college life. I cannot begin to stress enough how many people in America these days are fighting depression and other inner mental battles on a daily basis. Blame the cause of this issue on whatever you want, but it won't change the fact that it's happening.

And what's worse, things like therapists/psychologists/etc are quite expensive. Even universities these days will only pay for up to ONE semester of help for these students, that's how expensive it is (note that many large universities will provide medical insurance for you and nearly all medical services for free). After that one semester is up, the student is expected to start paying for it him/herself. And most of the students who need it generally don't have the resources for this, they often come from difficult backgrounds already.

These nutjobs need help (and needed help even before they became nutjobs), and we need to make the help these people need become more accessible. It won't solve the problem completely but it's an important first step in healing our mentally unstable, and those at risk of becoming so.
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

GUARD!AN wrote:I cannot begin to stress enough how many people in America these days are fighting depression and other inner mental battles on a daily basis.

Magyk is depressed because there is no siege. :(

MajorMajor

Post by MajorMajor »

I agree with Guard. Mental health is important.

Also, @Magyk Mutually Assured Destruction, or MAD, is long standing U.S. policy. We'd be screwed if we didn't have it. I never said it was a good idea though.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

Magyk is depressed because there is no siege. :(

Me too

But another thing, how many gun crimes are there in the US per year that don't involve mental health? Like say if some guy wanted revenge on another guy and shot him in the head or something?

Sakke

Post by Sakke »

MajorMajor wrote:I agree with Guard. Mental health is important.

Also, @Magyk Mutually Assured Destruction, or MAD, is long standing U.S. policy. We'd be screwed if we didn't have it. I never said it was a good idea though.

There are two kinds of countries: those with nukes and those without. The only (unwritten) law is that two countries with nukes do not attack each other.

I find it very easy to picture you doing so, Guard. I'm glad that you and others like you do. I think you're onto the most essential thing here, bringing up mental health.
Bob: The Danes aren't a major world power, don't particularly hate us to the extent of suicide bombers, and provide no major benefit; therefore we don't pay them much attention.
Kerafym: Did Yoda just try to make fun of my grammar?
wat?

Max Rambone
Ramboner

Post by Max Rambone »

hitler-300x216.jpg
hitler-300x216.jpg (16.66 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Eventus stultorum magister.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Max Rambone wrote:
hitler-300x216.jpg

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

guns3.jpg

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

And now the Brits and the Yanks are best buddies.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Ramshi wrote:And now the Brits and the Yanks are best buddies.

See: 1940s.

"Oh, don't mind us, we'll just save your continent along with Russia. Suz Japan."

And thus, a friendship was born.