Location Based Damage

Discuss the pug server Elysium

Moderator: Blackout

Blackout

Location Based Damage

Post by Blackout »

There has been recent debate over whether to change location based damage to 1 which is default. The most popular siege servers since 2013 have been running without location based damage starting with Paddy's pug which it seems is where it changed, I'd be interested to know why.

This is what location based damage does.

Leg shots do 70%
Arm shots do 85%
Hand shots do 60%
Head shots do 130%
Other 100%

I think it would be detrimental to have it on 1 due to being forced to hit reborn boss with defence 3 in the foot with disruptor I also like having a uniform damage system however I wouldn't mind just the 130% headshot damage being implemented on its own. It would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on this I'm not going to make a poll because the vast majority of siegers don't come here to vote.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Re: Location Based Damage

Post by Magyk »

I don't think siege has EVER had location based damage turned on.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

I've been told by Duo and others that it was set to 1 on impulse and apparently all other siege servers although I always thought it was off on impulse. In fact I thought it was a JA+ thing since it was on tempest.

LORD

Post by LORD »

Location dmg was always on since start to 2010, dunno what happened after.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Duo

Post by Duo »

Location based damage has been set to 1 (on) for every siege and CTF server since 2003. It is the basejka default setting.

Setting it to 0 (off) is an arbitrary change that was made by ANubIsInYourForum, who for some reason changed it to 0 on the server.cfg template that guard(unaware) later gave to Magyk when he created Paddys. I gave Sith a copy of this cfg after his provider deleted all his files, unaware that it was set to 0 in the cfg. This is the reason it got set to 0 on Elysium; it was simply a copy of the Paddys cfg.

The only reason this is even being discussed AT ALL is literally because ANubIsInYourForum arbitrarily changed it to 0 on the server.cfg template that Guard later provided to Magyk for setting up Paddys, and Sith's provider deleted all his files and they were replaced with a copy of the Paddys cfg.

Imagine this "debate" didn't exist and nobody had ever heard of this setting. Imagine I started a poll on the base_entranced forum asking about changing fundamental damage values away from basejka settings that have been used since 2003. Do you think anyone would vote yes to that? Fuck no, people would be like "lol idi00t y do u want to change everyth1ng? game is fine, LOL @ shittie mod!!!1"

People who are defending 0 are only saying:
"I have recently grown accustomed to this non-default setting that was only put on the server as a result of ANubIsInYourForum's arbitrary decision and Sith's provider deleting all his files in recent weeks. I have become convinced by mobs of low-caliber players and/or rationalized this in my mind as some sort of convoluted defense of why footshotting reborn bosses is somehow extremely important, something that probably never even crossed my mind prior to October 2015. I believe that ANubIsInYourForum's arbitrary decision, which got put on Sith's server because they accidentally deleted his files and has never been used by any servers before, is the correct setting."

This is not even a debate. Every siege and CTF server has used 1 (on) since 2003. Are we going to start changing gravity, too? Set it to 1.

EDIT: apparently it was ANubIsInYourForum, not Magyk, who changed it to 0. Fuck that guy.
Last edited by Duo on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

I support location based damage to be set to 1. Setting it to 0 is like breaking all laws of physics and logic. If I shoot you in the foot, you clearly wont be hurt as much if I had shot you in the head. Why was this even turned off??

I was wondering why my headshots were not as lethal as I remember.

jawa 2.0

Post by jawa 2.0 »

Yeah dumb change, is dumb.

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

I'm personally in favor of having location-based damage. The idea of hitting a smaller target (a head) for more damage vs. hitting a larger, more likely target for less damage is appealing. Also kinda is a partial counter to that bs shooting saber defense 3 reborn boss in the foot thing.

Eitherway, if it's a cvar, can't we just change it as the assembled players desire? Make a vote even?

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

I didn't actually configure Paddys, so don't throw me under the bus.

Change it if you want. Killing dudes is killing dudes. I probably won't even notice the difference.

schrute
pingmaser

Post by schrute »

Turquoise Dragon wrote:I'm personally in favor of having location-based damage. The idea of hitting a smaller target (a head) for more damage vs. hitting a larger, more likely target for less damage is appealing. Also kinda is a partial counter to that bs shooting saber defense 3 reborn boss in the foot thing.

Eitherway, if it's a cvar, can't we just change it as the assembled players desire? Make a vote even?

see poll in this forum