No jka for a while

Post by Laser »

Snapchat-6416008821176038586.jpg
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Re: No jka for a while

Post by Magyk »

Aside from the hd screen that laptop looks like it's from 1999.

Caesar

Post by Caesar »

What does it mean? xD

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

Think I'm suffering from hard drive failure
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Duo

Post by Duo »

If it really is just the HDD that broke, buy a new 2.5 inch SSD online and swap it into the motherboard. Easy, takes a screwdriver and 5 minutes. You can easily get a high-end 250GB SSD for <$100 in the US. The Samsung 850 Pro is great. I would only buy from Samsung or Crucial.

With laptops, though, if the HDD died, it's likely the other components will soon be nearing death, too, though. But since drives are modular, you can just buy an SSD now and then 6 months from now if you get a new laptop, you can put this SSD into the new one.

Btw unless you really need the mobility of a laptop, building a desktop PC is cheaper and will last longer. Also SSDs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HDDs and are more durable(no moving parts), will last a lot longer, etc
Last edited by Duo on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

Caesar wrote:What does it mean? xD

It means he can't put pk3 files into base anymore.

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

Duo wrote:Btw unless you really need the mobility of a laptop, building a desktop PC is cheaper and will last longer.

Debating on doing this now. I have my chromebook for mobility and work etc., but I definitely need a Windows computer for working on Sage for my degree. I got my laptop working again, so I can back up some of the more important stuff that's on there, but it's surely only a matter of time before it fails completely.
Less QQ more Pew Pew

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

Laser wrote:
Duo wrote:Btw unless you really need the mobility of a laptop, building a desktop PC is cheaper and will last longer.

Debating on doing this now. I have my chromebook for mobility and work etc., but I definitely need a Windows computer for working on Sage for my degree. I got my laptop working again, so I can back up some of the more important stuff that's on there, but it's surely only a matter of time before it fails completely.

yews some cloud application for important stuff like school/work. I yews Google Drive for that and for other things, too. But having back ups of your work is always a good idea.

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

aradorasxeon wrote:
Laser wrote:

yews some cloud application for important stuff like school/work. I yews Google Drive for that and for other things, too. But having back ups of your work is always a good idea.

Thanks, I will. There's not that much to backup anyways.
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Duo

Post by Duo »

Laser wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme is a good resource for part recommendations.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc is good for general discussion and checking over builds.
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales lists current sales and deals.

Simple instructional video on assembling PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUghCx9iso

Feel free to message me if you want any help, too.