SMod

Discuss our favorite gametype.
Duo

SMod

Post by Duo »

SMod has become a crucial part of JA multiplayer. Unfortunately, Sil doesn't announce SMod updates, and there aren't really any official links anywhere on this site to it. I'll try to update this thread when SMod is updated.

Latest version: September 28, 2015 - v1.12.2 [Download]

Unzip the contents of the .zip into your base folder. Read the txt files for help with cvars and commands.

NOTE: cg_drawRewards is enabled by default, and many people find it annoying. I recommend setting it to 0.
Last edited by Duo on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

aradorasxeon

Re: SMod

Post by aradorasxeon »

Duo wrote:NOTE: cg_drawRewards is enabled by default, and many people find it annoying. I recommend setting it to 0.

But.. but.. I love *say it in the voice* Ace award.

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

LORD

Post by LORD »

Is any simple way to make smod NOT change snaps to 20? I put cmd for snaps 40 in my classbinds but maybe someone got better idea?
Last edited by LORD on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

I made an auto exec with snaps 40 and that hasn't resolved it either
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Duo

Post by Duo »

I never realized this before, but your snaps should be equal to sv_fps setting. On Elysium, that is 30 (basejka default is 20). Setting snaps to a higher number, like 40, doesn't actually do anything different.

So there is no problem with snaps actually.

Raz0r wrote:The correlation between snaps and sv_fps is that each server frame (happens every 1000/sv_fps times per second) a snapshot is generated.
Using a snaps value higher than the sv_fps has no effect, so when you're using snaps 40 on a sv_fps 20 server, you'll get 20 snapshots/second. When you move to a sv_fps 40 server, you'll recieve 40 snapshots/second.

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

What about the optimum sv_fps setting? Should it actually be 30 or is there any rationale for making it 40?
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Duo

Post by Duo »

I've never experimented with sv_fps, I don't know.

Sith says that he tested it and it raised some players' pings, but I'm not sure if they were actually using correct /snaps settings when this happened. For example, if your snaps is 30 (which it would be, because sv_fps is currently 30) and then you set sv_fps to 40, your snaps won't immediately update. Maybe these were the conditions of his tests, and so it led to false positives of lag being induced. More testing should be done, with proper adjustment of snaps.

You may have read about some shitty console games having their engine/physics tied to framerate. This is true of JA as well, but it's tied to the server framerate, not the client. The client gets a steady stream of data at a rate of sv_fps and predicts everything in between -- hence why you can play JA at 60fps+ even though the server is broadcasting at 20fps or whatever; your client fills in the "gaps" between the 20fps by predicting what will happen in between the current server frame and the next server frame(based on trajectory, velocity, etc), and draws it in your client game as extra frames in between.

You can see this firsthand because some things in the game are buggy and don't predict correctly. For example, when you drop a siege item (codes, crystal, etc) and its movement as it bounces around seems to be laggy -- since siege was low priority for Raven, they never bothered to fix clientside prediction for siege items.

Anyway, since the game engine is tied to the fps, messing with sv_fps too much could affect game speed.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Using higher sv_fps will raise the server's CPU cycles. On some servers optimized for a certain amount of players and sv_fps, it can cause CPU delay (like client FPS lag but on the server side) because it can't keep up with the game's clock and will skip frames. It has the visual effect of raising your ping but the server is actually lagging (you can see for example that in case of extreme server lag everyone's ping shows ~600ms, well there it's major frame skipping).

sv_fps 30 is not an optimal value because of the way the game rounds frames. It is difficult to notice and has almost no effect on gameplay, but the server actually has 1/3 chance to skip a frame every 2,33333... frames if using sv_fps 30 i think. This leads to bad precision in some calculations that are framerate-dependant (knockback is for sure) but it's barely noticeable. sv_fps 40 is actually better for this reason (exact rounding), but will yews more server resources. If you see a ping increase while increasing sv_fps, it's most likely skipping frames and you should lower it. That's the same kind of rounding that is done client side with com_maxfps, with magic values like 125/250/333 and so on. tl;dr: yews sv_fps 40 if your server supports it, otherwise yews 30 which has very little differences.

A very high value of sv_fps will lead to the game happening faster though. you can see your force regenerating instantly with sv_fps 1000.

Also a side note for people thinking their ping is actually reduced with commands like cl_maxpackets 39: because of the way ping is calculated, that is just visual in most cases. Your real ping will always be what you see by pinging the server from cmd, assuming no server lag. What changes with net settings is either visual, or affects the game delay (different than ping, always higher) like low rate/snaps etc, but always in a negative way. If you yews cl_maxpackets 39 and your ping shows 110 while cmd ping shows 120, saying your ping was reduced is as retarded as saying "oh, my packets magically cross the ocean faster than they can physically reach the other continent, this command is awesome".

btw, I tried to remove SMod and my snaps were still getting tied to sv_fps. Being no trace of snaps forcing in base_enhanced, I think it's safe to assume it's the OpenJK dedicated server that does that (also everyone noticed their snaps changing around the time Sith started using OpenJK for auto dl purposes).

Also, if you test higher sv_fps, as duo said make sure everyone uses the appropriate snaps settings. If I yews snaps 30 for sv_fps 30, it will actually yews snaps 30. But if Sith changes sv_fps to 40 for testing and i still yews snaps 30, it will yews the highest snaps that divides sv_fps, so snaps 20, which is basejka and sucks.

alpha

Post by alpha »

someone get rid of these word filters

Duo

Post by Duo »

I didn't realize that they changed the sv_fps default in openjk. In basejka it defaults to 20, in openjk it defaults to 40.