SMod

Discuss our favorite gametype.
schrute
pingmaser

Re: SMod

Post by schrute »

alpha wrote:Using higher sv_fps will raise the server's CPU cycles. On some servers optimized for a certain amount of players and sv_fps, it can cause CPU delay (like client FPS lag but on the server side) because it can't keep up with the game's clock and will skip frames. It has the visual effect of raising your ping but the server is actually lagging (you can see for example that in case of extreme server lag everyone's ping shows ~600ms, well there it's major frame skipping).

sv_fps 30 is not an optimal value because of the way the game rounds frames. It is difficult to notice and has almost no effect on gameplay, but the server actually has 1/3 chance to skip a frame every 2,33333... frames if using sv_fps 30 i think. This leads to bad precision in some calculations that are framerate-dependant (knockback is for sure) but it's barely noticeable. sv_fps 40 is actually better for this reason (exact rounding), but will yews more server resources. If you see a ping increase while increasing sv_fps, it's most likely skipping frames and you should lower it. That's the same kind of rounding that is done client side with com_maxfps, with magic values like 125/250/333 and so on. tl;dr: yews sv_fps 40 if your server supports it, otherwise yews 30 which has very little differences.

A very high value of sv_fps will lead to the game happening faster though. you can see your force regenerating instantly with sv_fps 1000.

Also a side note for people thinking their ping is actually reduced with commands like cl_maxpackets 39: because of the way ping is calculated, that is just visual in most cases. Your real ping will always be what you see by pinging the server from cmd, assuming no server lag. What changes with net settings is either visual, or affects the game delay (different than ping, always higher) like low rate/snaps etc, but always in a negative way. If you yews cl_maxpackets 39 and your ping shows 110 while cmd ping shows 120, saying your ping was reduced is as retarded as saying "oh, my packets magically cross the ocean faster than they can physically reach the other continent, this command is awesome".

btw, I tried to remove SMod and my snaps were still getting tied to sv_fps. Being no trace of snaps forcing in base_enhanced, I think it's safe to assume it's the OpenJK dedicated server that does that (also everyone noticed their snaps changing around the time Sith started using OpenJK for auto dl purposes).

Also, if you test higher sv_fps, as duo said make sure everyone uses the appropriate snaps settings. If I yews snaps 30 for sv_fps 30, it will actually yews snaps 30. But if Sith changes sv_fps to 40 for testing and i still yews snaps 30, it will yews the highest snaps that divides sv_fps, so snaps 20, which is basejka and sucks.

nice meme?

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

So change sv_fps to 40 then in case you missed it in the lecture on ping.

LORD

Post by LORD »

aradorasxeon wrote:
But.. but.. I love *say it in the voice* Ace award.

Ur the only dude in this topic without toilet as ur avatar.
Shame on you.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

alpha

Post by alpha »

schrute wrote:
alpha wrote:Using higher sv_fps will raise the server's CPU cycles. On some servers optimized for a certain amount of players and sv_fps, it can cause CPU delay (like client FPS lag but on the server side) because it can't keep up with the game's clock and will skip frames. It has the visual effect of raising your ping but the server is actually lagging (you can see for example that in case of extreme server lag everyone's ping shows ~600ms, well there it's major frame skipping).

sv_fps 30 is not an optimal value because of the way the game rounds frames. It is difficult to notice and has almost no effect on gameplay, but the server actually has 1/3 chance to skip a frame every 2,33333... frames if using sv_fps 30 i think. This leads to bad precision in some calculations that are framerate-dependant (knockback is for sure) but it's barely noticeable. sv_fps 40 is actually better for this reason (exact rounding), but will yews more server resources. If you see a ping increase while increasing sv_fps, it's most likely skipping frames and you should lower it. That's the same kind of rounding that is done client side with com_maxfps, with magic values like 125/250/333 and so on. tl;dr: yews sv_fps 40 if your server supports it, otherwise yews 30 which has very little differences.

A very high value of sv_fps will lead to the game happening faster though. you can see your force regenerating instantly with sv_fps 1000.

Also a side note for people thinking their ping is actually reduced with commands like cl_maxpackets 39: because of the way ping is calculated, that is just visual in most cases. Your real ping will always be what you see by pinging the server from cmd, assuming no server lag. What changes with net settings is either visual, or affects the game delay (different than ping, always higher) like low rate/snaps etc, but always in a negative way. If you yews cl_maxpackets 39 and your ping shows 110 while cmd ping shows 120, saying your ping was reduced is as retarded as saying "oh, my packets magically cross the ocean faster than they can physically reach the other continent, this command is awesome".

btw, I tried to remove SMod and my snaps were still getting tied to sv_fps. Being no trace of snaps forcing in base_enhanced, I think it's safe to assume it's the OpenJK dedicated server that does that (also everyone noticed their snaps changing around the time Sith started using OpenJK for auto dl purposes).

Also, if you test higher sv_fps, as duo said make sure everyone uses the appropriate snaps settings. If I yews snaps 30 for sv_fps 30, it will actually yews snaps 30. But if Sith changes sv_fps to 40 for testing and i still yews snaps 30, it will yews the highest snaps that divides sv_fps, so snaps 20, which is basejka and sucks.

nice meme?

i͈̫͒̒ͥ̐̀m̢̨̹͚̙̞͔̺̠ͧ͋͋̔̄ͮ̋ ̵̸̠͙̺̪͓͒́ş̨̘̱͇͈͍͛ͤ̽͒͐̐ͨ́o̢̦͈̺̖̗ͯͥ̈́̑ͬ͂̉̚̕r̛͓̦͛͛̋̈ͮ̽͘r̟̪̹ͫ̍͌̀̎̊̋ͯỷ̹͖̼̪̄̐̚͞ͅ ̧͖̆̀ͥ̽͂̇i͍̳͎̹̟̠̓͊̓ͧͦ̉ͣ͆̚͝ ̴̡̨̥̹̮̻̇͐͛ͤ̒̿p͚̼̲̺ͮͯ̂͂r̍͏͕͕̯͈̟̰̦ͅo̴̧̦̲͉̭̗̰̜ͩͫͪͮ͛ͨ͡m̢̺͍̭̓͂̽͡i̴̮̙͇̟̣̯ͧ̈́̓̄ͪͩ͐͊ṡ̢̧̲̼̯̫̝̦͔ͧͬe̳̣̼̞͇̎̍͛̏ͩ̃ͭ͂ ̸̡̘̣̱ͪ̅̏̆̈̐̋ţ̡̗̘͕̤͓̏ͦ̅̍ͮ̿́̐ḧ̹͚͆̋ͥ̾̚̚͝ḁ̵͚̪̰͓̺̜̠̘̾̓͊͂̐͌͘͢t̵͉̰̘̝̤̬ͪͯͦ͜͟ ̪̹̩̙͖̰̦̐ͯ͊̍̌̐ͅw̶̹̟͈̱̖̮̾ͨ̽ͫ̔a̢̡̤͙̩̥ͨ͒s̛̄ͫ̍͏̦̠̘͈̼̮̼͘ͅ ̧̳̜͉̦͖͉̓ͯ͒ͬͪ̇͘ͅt̨̢̗̳͕̣͎͇̖̜̂̈́͑ͧ͌̈́̎ͤh̦̄ͭ̄̑ę̻͕͙̿̇̐ͪͭ͜͠ͅ ̸̵̆ͪ̐ͭ͂҉̤̗͈̖͚͙͍̗l̴͍͇̤̘͑̏a̞̻̒̀ͥͩ̿ͨŝ̵̴̶̹͚̭̦̝̮́ẗ̷̟͈̭̤ͧ̍͑̑̎̌̀͠ ͌ͨ̀̓͒̐҉̥ň̴̜͚͖̤̭̓͋̏̑̍̌o̗̖͖̪̒̀ͮ̌̆̊̃n̶͎̱̫̟͎͍̣̩͂̃̄̒ ͩͮͪ͋̚͝͠҉̪͎͖̳͖̲̜͚s͔̘͇̝̳̉ͪ͐̓̂̽̉͟͡͝h͉̫̞̯̗͍̻̾͊̀͘ͅͅiͩ́҉̨͉̩̪ţ̪̖͉̟͇̤̥͉͈̌̊̈̒ͪͦͩ͐p̝̪̻̯̺̜ͤ͐͆̕ő͕̩̯̱ͧ̈̐͐sͬ̃̃ͥ͗ͬ͏̣̙͖͇̼t̰̥̘͎͔͖ͥ͂ͭ͂͑͘͝ͅ ͇̺̎̅ͨ͝i̵̴͔̭̱ͦ͌̓̃͠ͅ ̖͖̲͇͚͎͛̑̉ͯ͘̕mͦ̂̎҉̛̻̺͎̞̩̙̠͕̕ȁ̢̞͎̼͓̝̠̥̫ͧ̀͑͒͟k̰̝͔̳̟̘̈́ͩͥͤ̊͆͘͞e̶̺͙ͪͥͧ̽̄̀ͨ́͡

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

LORD wrote:
aradorasxeon wrote:

Shame on you.

Yeah I am starting to feel ashmed of myself :( I might change it sometimes, no promises though :P

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."

LORD

Post by LORD »

aradorasxeon wrote:
LORD wrote:
aradorasxeon wrote:

Shame on you.

Yeah I am starting to feel ashmed of myself :( I might change it sometimes, no promises though :P

I highly recommend new siege map with some toilet obj :)
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Change it gfagoot

Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Post by Turquoise Dragon »

Well, it's a pretty shitty concept for an avatar.... 8-)

Then again, I personally prefer my possibly suggestive anthro charizard chick

aradorasxeon

Post by aradorasxeon »

LORD wrote:
aradorasxeon wrote:
LORD wrote:
aradorasxeon wrote:

Shame on you.

I highly recommend new siege map with some toilet obj :)

No, you don't play my other maps :(

2014.05.05. Thanks for al the fun!

"Nah, I go."