Instazoom sniper scope script

Discuss our favorite gametype.
Duo

Instazoom sniper scope script

Post by Duo »

Some of you have already used the zoom script, +use toggle script, and perfect wallrun script on my mods page. Here's a new one for you:

When you tap right-click with disruptor, the game instantly changes your FOV to 50. If you continue holding down right-click, the game slowly continues to decrease your FOV below 50 (zooming in).

However, if you already had your cg_fov below 50 before zooming, the game doesn't raise your FOV suddenly to 50. It allows you to keep your existing FOV. Therefore, you can write a script to instazoom the sniper scope to a level you want, without having to hold down right-click and wait for it to gradually zoom in.

This template assumes you normally play with cg_fov 120. If you don't, change the 120 to whatever you use.

bind x "cg_fov 10; wait; +altattack; wait; -altattack; wait; cg_fov 120"

You can change the 10 to alter the zoom amount. Use a lower number to be more zoomed-in; use a higher number to be less zoomed-in.

LORD

Re: Instazoom sniper scope script

Post by LORD »

It's cool thing gj.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

I've always been a bit iffy over zoom scripting, but I can let it go. Scripting a perfect wall run is cheating, though.

Inb4 comparisons with chew
Less QQ more Pew Pew

LORD

Post by LORD »

Laser wrote:Scripting a perfect wall run is cheating, though.

Believe me, ppl are using worse things in pugs than this...
Perfect wall run is not much important to gameplay, its easy to do manually.
Zoomscripting is more like cheat, especially with rupting.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Laser
Kopite

Post by Laser »

LORD wrote:

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying. I'm fairly confident that a couple of the guys yews wall hack as well so zoom scripts are nothing for them.
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

LORD wrote:

It's only easy to do in traditional locations. Glhf doing it manually at codes.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Exploiting commands that give you a huge advantage such as fov for zoomscripting is cheating really. These commands should be locked but they aren't so I guess changing them is fine, but the whole scripting thing I don't like why not write an auto aim script while you're at it? Although, I see people wall hacking practically every game so I'm hardly going to call for a ban on zoomscripts.

On a slightly different note, creating maps and having a different .bsp file with bolt markers on which other people can't do isn't right either it's exploiting being a map maker, if these allegations were correct anyway.

To further the point against cheating, we have very small numbers of active players so we can hardly ban people, however, we should be able to rely on people not to cheat, especially WH/aimbot and whatever else people yews; a level playing field makes for more enjoyable games.

Duo

Post by Duo »

Scripts have been part of Q3 games since 1999; the wait command was designed specifically to allow people to make their own custom commands.

There's even an example script in the JA source code that tells you how to write your own dank rocket script:

Code: Select all

Cmd_Wait_f

Causes execution of the remainder of the command buffer to be delayed until
next frame.  This allows commands like:
bind g "cmd rocket ; +attack ; wait ; -attack ; cmd blaster"

The Quake 3 FOV code was significantly overhauled in JA -- barely any of the original Quake 3 FOV code remains. In Quake 3, the lower limit was 1 and the upper limit was 160. In JA, they reduced the upper limit to 97, but maintained the lower cap of 1. Smod didn't magically uncap the lower FOV limit; it was always 1. Even when Raven completely rewrote the FOV code, they once again specifically typed in the number "1" as the lower limit. Even without scripts, you can simply do "bind x cg_fov 10" to accomplish the same thing; the scripts just make it easier.

Q3 as well as most Q3-based games have a +zoom/-zoom command. It goes on mouse2 -- Q3 doesn't have +altattack; weapons only have primary fire mode. In JK they needed to make room for the new +altattack, so they simply made +altattack for disruptor emulate the old +zoom command, and threw in some shitty scope assets to go along with it. Then to avoid overly confusing mouse2 bindings, they removed +zoom from the console command registry, although all of the code for it is still present.

Regarding instazoom, the disruptor zoom code specifically checks to ensure that your FOV is > 50 before lowering it to 50. Code isn't written on accident. Raven was accounting for players who yews cg_fov < 50 (which, as noted above, has always been allowed, even after Raven's code rewrite).

In summary:
  • Scripts are encouraged; there are literally instructions on how to write your own dank rocket scripts in the JA source code.
  • Raven completely rewrote the FOV code from Q3, and they still typed in "1" as the lower limit.
  • +zoom was only removed from Q3 to avoid confusing mouse2 binds, because JK introduced +altattack.
  • Raven wrote a check in the disruptor zoom code to account for players who yews cg_fov < 50.

Any argument against "cheat" or "exploit" scripts is therefore solely based on subjective perception of moral superiority.

Darth_Wayne
kera and sfail's fiend

Post by Darth_Wayne »

Zoomscripts are for faggots.

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

Tbh, I find aiming with a zoomed fov very difficult. I rarely ever zoom, and it's usually only when I'm teaching the atst from the bunkers.