Ask the dev

Discuss our favorite gametype.
Duo

Ask the dev

Post by Duo »

I found the lead developer of JA multiplayer online through his website. Out of curiosity, I contacted him and he seemed pretty happy to chat. If the siege and CTF communities can come up with some things they'd like to ask him, I can email him and post the answers. So what would you want to say to the lead developer of JA multiplayer?

Laser
Kopite

Re: Ask the dev

Post by Laser »

How rushed did he feel when the game was being released, and how much did that hurt the game's potential?

Is he surprised that there are still active jka mp communities?

Is he proud of the game and what would he change?

Why did you kill the jan?

Who have sony Vegas?

How does he feel about ad fags?

Does it worth it?

Knockback on or off?

Did he have a hand in korribad?

If he knew people were going to make bad maps like cargo1, would he have pulled the plug?

How does he feel about wallrun scripting?

Chile microwave?

Why was jka neglected so much when it came to bug fixing and patching?

Will me return 5?

1v1?

You are welcome to take an appropriate selection from these questions :)
Less QQ more Pew Pew

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

pug at impulse? need 1 for 3s.

edit:

really tho, certainly this guy couldn't have anticipated the game's community continuing on for over a decade, right?

Also what projects is he currently working on, if still in the industry.

alpha

Post by alpha »

How did they feel about strafe jumping before release, since it was already known in the Quake community and disabled in many Q3 derivates? Why was this disabled in siege, SP, and enabled in all other gametypes? Did they anticipate the impact it would have on gameplay?

After the success that has seen JK2, on what did they focus while developing JKA? Seeing that SP is a letdown compared to its predecessor, did they mainly try to improve MP? Did they intend CTF to be the most balanced gametype when played with weapons, force and everything enabled?

How much testing has JKA gone through? (lol)

Why did they make guns better than saber in a j.edi game?

Did the devs u.se to actively play the game, and do some of them still play it sometimes?

What made the studio actually release the source code after keeping it for all this time?

Did they anticipate onasi to be the easiest player?

Onasi

Post by Onasi »

Did they have any particular reason to make hitbox smaller in jka compared to jk2? (not that I complain)

Were they aware of the fact that in CTF some of the weapons are completely u.seless, while others are godlike? Talking about bowcaster and E11 here: saber simply blocks them. Getting a kill with them is extremely rare, and the only reason bowcaster gets added to maps is to have it serve as +100 ammo for sniper/demp2.

Speaking of demp2, that weapon is very OP in CTF (as well as in siege) Did they think the freeze effect to be negligible in most gametypes? Because demp2 is the most efficient weapon you can pick up for o'ing. There is only one more powerful weapon, and that is conc, which did not exist in jk2. Did they test it, or tried to balance it at any rate?

Why did they disable strafejumping in siege and even SP when it was one of the things that they really improved in jka. Also, most base maps you can get to palces you were not supposed to by using strafejumping. For instance: going up to the mountain in ffa5. Also duelling somewhat loses its point when players are just hiking mountains (duel5). Did they perhaps consider exploring the maps to be a fun addition to the game, or were they just unaware of this?

Sabering in jka is somewhat generally accepted as really challanging and fun, and there are quite a few people who would really want to see it used in modern games again. Also, 2 more saberstyles were added to this game. Was sabering something they really wanted to focus on and make it as good as possible?

Door greening: was it an intended behaviour, or just some random bug they never even thought would occur?

Why was cg_fov limited to 97?

In singleplayer, you can u.se absorb and protect at the same time, yet thankfully in mp you can't. Was that a deliberate change in order to balance the game, or just easier to develop?

Were they aware how easy it is to predict other player's movement? Jumpsounds, footsteps, always looking into the direction of other players even if mind tricked etc etc makes wallhacking absolutely unnecessary.

LORD

Post by LORD »

Laser wrote:
Chile microwave?

I want to ask about it too, plz.
GhouL WanT MeaT !!!

Magyk
Graphics Guru

Post by Magyk »

alpha wrote:Why did they make guns better than saber in a j.edi game?

More importantly, why did they decide to ruin the saber play from JK2 to JKA? What idiot decided to add the double blade and dual wield? For realsies.

Ramshi

Post by Ramshi »

Did they ever realise that people could jan sk and spam shields?

Onasi

Post by Onasi »

19:27 - onasi101: btw anything became of that
19:27 - onasi101: ask the dev thing?
19:47 - - Phil -: oh yeah i forgot to email the dev lol

schrute
pingmaser

Post by schrute »

Onasi wrote:19:27 - onasi101: btw anything became of that
19:27 - onasi101: ask the dev thing?