JKA crashes

Get help for problems you may have with technology, math, or women.

Moderator: Turky

JKA crashes

Postby alfa on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am

Hi all,
well, I did not have this problem at all, but now it also infected me.
When i play Siege EAX on the audio setup automatically turns on, and when i turn it of (because of the sound bugs on Korri - especially) the game crashes within 1 minute. Ridiculously it just happened in this week all the time.
When I leave EAX on, it doesn't crash, but the sound is fucked up.
Some1 help, pl0x.
KTHX!
- alfa
alfa

Topic author
Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 3:31 am

Re: JKA crashes

Postby Turky on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am

same for me, I have no idea why this happens but it ONLY happens on a ja+ server.. so it seems.
Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Highscores: 1
Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 8:31 pm

Postby Kerafym on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 pm

when the sound bugs just do snd_restart in console.
Hi. I'm angry on the internet.
Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 9:31 pm

Postby Turky on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Kerafym wrote:when the sound bugs just do snd_restart in console.

That's going to make it crash too...
Turky

Postby Ranger Bob on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 pm

That happened to me about a year back...heh I can't even remember what I did, but I think it fixed itself after a while. Generally I leave EAX off now...it really is screwed up.
Ranger Bob
troll

Local time: Fri May 17, 2024 11:31 am

Postby Max Rambone on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:14 pm

If it only happens on a JA+ server, I would delete/move/rename the entire japlus folder from gamedata.

Be sure to save your screenshots, rax jorises, and CFGs, if any.

Realize that this may reset all of your controls and settings, so you probably should do a:

/writeconfig <whatever>

Replacing <whatever> with something like siege.cfg or something.

Better yet, make it 'autoexec.cfg' and save a copy to your base folder.

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.
Max Rambone
Ramboner

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Postby A nub is In Ur Forum on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Most likely the crash is just preventing the value change from saving. Start JKA, turn EAX off immediately, and close JKA normally as soon as that's done; as long as it doesn't crash on you first, EAX should save as "off". Also bear in mind that this value is stored separately in jampconfig.cfg for every mod you have, so to ensure it doesn't crop up again, you need to turn it off in each mod and verify that it did in fact turn off; you can do it through the GUI for each (tedious), or you can go through all your copies of jampconfig.cfg, look for "s_UseOpenAL" and make sure the relevant line is 'seta s_UseOpenAL "0"' in each.

Once you have EAX off, you shouldn't crash, and the Korriban sound glitch should be much less frequent; I haven't had the EAX problem myself, but the sound glitch crops up perhaps 1 in 5 Korribans; with EAX off, "snd_restart" or toggling quality between high and low twice fixes it for the entire round consistantly in my experience (usually the torches just go silent when 'fixed', but that's fine by me.)

Just a guess off the top of my head, but I suspect the cause is that there are just too damn many torches making noise in the 2nd O spawn on Korriban; that's always where the problem starts up in my experience, can anyone else confirm/deny that? I believe the sound components are serverside entities, so it's possible I could 'fix' this (but not the EAX part of it) in a Korriban server patch by removing some or all of the torch noise in that particular room. Anyone with ideas/comments on this, by all means speak up; I suspect practically everyone would rather have the torches permanently silent than deal with having to snd_restart mid-game at all, assuming it fixes it, correct? If enough people want this solution, I'll research it sometime and see if it'll work.
A nub is In Ur Forum

Postby Max Rambone on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 am

Sounds plausible to me.

Another thing about korri that I'm sure others have noticed:

Some peeps tend to lag out just after the third spawn....for me, the game crashes just as I make the turn around the angled part of the 'oval' just before the last set of stairs leading to the coffin area. (When it does happen to me.)

Quite a few times over the years I've seen several peeps go 999 around that time.

~archi
Eventus stultorum magister.
Max Rambone
Ramboner

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Postby Turky on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:23 am

A nub is In Ur Forum wrote:Just a guess off the top of my head, but I suspect the cause is that there are just too damn many torches making noise in the 2nd O spawn on Korriban; that's always where the problem starts up in my experience, can anyone else confirm/deny that?

I have a mod that takes away that sound, and I still get glitched.
Turky

Postby A nub is In Ur Forum on Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 am

Max Rambone wrote:Another thing about korri that I'm sure others have noticed:

Some peeps tend to lag out just after the third spawn....for me, the game crashes just as I make the turn around the angled part of the 'oval' just before the last set of stairs leading to the coffin area. (When it does happen to me.)

Quite a few times over the years I've seen several peeps go 999 around that time.

Haven't seen that one myself I think. Any error messages? That might help track it down.

Turky wrote:
A nub is In Ur Forum wrote:Just a guess off the top of my head, but I suspect the cause is that there are just too damn many torches making noise in the 2nd O spawn on Korriban; that's always where the problem starts up in my experience, can anyone else confirm/deny that?

I have a mod that takes away that sound, and I still get glitched.

Does it just replace the sound with a 0-duration, but legal .wav file (a few hundred bytes or so for the header?) Most likely the sound code would still loop it and overload sounds playing at once, just silently.
A nub is In Ur Forum

Next

Return to Help