"mercy rule"

Discuss our favorite gametype.

"mercy rule"

Postby Turky on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:31 am

I'm sure the mercy rule applies in many sports and games and such. In JKA ctf, for example, every one in a blue moon there's that seriously stacked pug where the leading team is like 10 caps ahead when the game isn't even 15 minutes in (out of 20). Usually it's a case by case, and if it's bad enough people will sometimes set an upper cap limit to avoid wasting time.

I'm starting to wonder how we might apply this to siege, although I know it's much more complicated. It'd obviously be on a map by map basis if we were to set any sort of standard. Any ideas on this? I mean, ask yourself this: if a team finishes hoth in 4 minutes, and it doesn't appear likely that the other team would be able to match it -- is there even a point to wasting the extra time out of everyone's day? Or do you think it's better to just play it through?

A further complication to control, would be the exploitation of such a mercy rule: ie, forcing a 20 minute hold on offense just so the defense doesn't get mad, but being pretty darned confident that your team will win on offense. Take that on for size -- do you think that's even avoidable? Maybe this topic is pointless on that note, but I'm just putting the idea out there.

Before you give your input, do note that I've seen both "guys let's just see this through, maybe we have a chance" and "ok that's super stacked, we're repugging *75% of players spec*". I've also seen teams giving themselves handicaps (or sometimes, spam or specjoin boosts) to compensate for unfavorable pugs. So it's really up to you, there's no right or wrong answer to this cuz we've heard them all already.

Also, I have another proposition: if a set of teams produces a damn fucking close pug (believe it or not, it happens!), then they should keep those teams and change to a different map. Any map, even a broken one like cargo or desert. Saves 20 minutes or so trying to capt and pick again, right? And it's not like Euro pugs where they keep the same teams for 3 maps regardless of the result.

That's always a nice thing to try for the sake of experiment, and it's fun to interpret the results. :)
Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Topic author
Highscores: 1
Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 pm

Re: "mercy rule"

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:40 am

I usually don't in pug, but in pub, I generally take it a bit easier and slower if I see the other team is horribly composed of noobs. Then again, as tempest rules allow, I sometime switch to help them out (if my team isn't all bots, that is). I don't really see this working on impulse, but maybe a trade system, where the stacked team trades one of their players for one on the other team?
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 4:06 pm

Postby Kerafym on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:11 am

It doesn't apply to siege. If a team is completely out matching the other team, there's no point in not finishing. The second round won't even take 5 minutes.
Hi. I'm angry on the internet.
Kerafym
jkb's bro & svail's fiend

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 4:06 pm

Postby Laser on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 am

Turky wrote:And it's not like Euro pugs where they keep the same teams for 3 maps regardless of the result.

This doesn't happen without good reason, like say if a team would be a lot better at korriban and they want to keep the same teams even though they've just been defeated comfortably on hoth or wherever.

There shouldn't really be a mercy rule in siege because I've seen it happen where both teams have completed a map in under 6 minutes, and is it really so inconvenient to play 4-6 minutes of a stacked game?
Less QQ more Pew Pew
Laser
Kopite

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 9:06 pm

Postby tens0r on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:18 am

This is a dumb idea. Siege is completely different and you can get run through every obj on hoth in 5 min but yet you can hold the CC for 15 mins and make it a good game still.
tens0r

Postby Ðarth Jedi on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:32 am

Turky wrote:if a team finishes hoth in 4 minutes, and it doesn't appear likely that the other team would be able to match it -- is there even a point to wasting the extra time out of everyone's day? Or do you think it's better to just play it through?

well I am not the one who likes to give up so easily and I always have a hope lol

Turky wrote:Also, I have another proposition: if a set of teams produces a damn fucking close pug (believe it or not, it happens!), then they should keep those teams and change to a different map. Any map, even a broken one like cargo or desert. Saves 20 minutes or so trying to capt and pick again, right? And it's not like Euro pugs where they keep the same teams for 3 maps regardless of the result.

interesting idea, but I agree with laser. Same "equal" teams could be very uneven in other map. For example, euros may seem to be useful in korri (sabers, pts, yaws, spam) and again lose in any gun map. But if teams play 2 similar maps I think it's possible to have a good game.

I kind of like the caliber system ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ). It helps to pick easier and faster. I know this idea sounds gay and more or less impossible, but what if.... we all get our caliber numbers and in the game just distribute into teams where each team has the same number (sum of calibers on the team). :| this would give us less fucking around and more time, because we don't need to capt.
Ðarth Jedi
First Team
First Team

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Postby Turky on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Caliber system is flawed because the people who pick the calibers are biased. I refuse to be placed at an equal caliber as Afro, for example (no offense). They'll give certain players an extra caliber point just because they like them despite their lack of skill. And sometimes they can't even agree what caliber a player is. It's mostly caliber 2's, a few 3s maybe? (revan doesn't count) And I don't even think I know of any c4s, I think they considered raptor as one but he doesn't really siege anymore. And then there's like five c5's at the top. It's not an evenly spaced system and there's too much range of skill just in caliber 2.

So. Fuck the caliber system.
Turky
dude weighs like 90 pounds

Topic author

Postby Duo on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:46 pm

nah people are just that bad
Duo

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 pm

Postby tens0r on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I must be a c6 seeing the people that are c5 suck.
Last edited by tens0r on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tens0r

Postby Ðarth Jedi on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Turky wrote:Caliber system is flawed because the people who pick the calibers are biased. I refuse to be placed at an equal caliber as Afro, for example (no offense). They'll give certain players an extra caliber point just because they like them despite their lack of skill. And sometimes they can't even agree what caliber a player is. It's mostly caliber 2's, a few 3s maybe? (revan doesn't count) And I don't even think I know of any c4s, I think they considered raptor as one but he doesn't really siege anymore. And then there's like five c5's at the top. It's not an evenly spaced system and there's too much range of skill just in caliber 2.

So. Fuck the caliber system.

i guess you are right
Ðarth Jedi
First Team
First Team

Local time: Tue May 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Next

Return to JKA Siege