siege_castle teaser

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Some screenies from my up-and-coming map

Overview:

Objectives:
1: break through the wall

2: destroy comms systems

3: advance to keep

4: destroy shield generator blocking access to keep (underneath keep)

5: raise your flag to win

view of first obj:

inside keep:

I obviously have a long way to go yet, but I'm also toying with the idea of tweaking it for a zombie version as well. Comments/concerns/questions welcome.
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Topic author
Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 5:15 pm

Re: siege_castle teaser

Postby Duo on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Seems like a pretty simple layout. Would need a lot more stuff to make it interesting/playable e.g. on the first objective it seems like offense could just spawn and shoot rockets at the wall and sk every spawn.

The keep looks like a clusterfuck. Really narrow ramp/corridor-based combat is bad. For example, see all of cargo(especially 2nd obj). Also applies to the gigantic ramp that is the third objective.

I think you could make your objective layouts a lot more interesting. I would recommend sketching out a lot of objectives and then blocking in the best ones into the editor. Check out the articles I posted in the making siege maps thread. I would also avoid the temptation to do even a basic graphics pass over the map yet - if you can make it fun to play out of a single grey texture, then it's going to be a lot more fun once you add in graphics. There's a good article on workflow in that thread also.
Duo

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 1:15 pm

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:35 pm

I've been messing around with the keep, and that's my current idea, may likely change. I've been contemplating moving the ramps to the side and make the middle pillar a lift (def-only or def-only/destroy lock for off). As for 1st obj, I'm gonna put some cover and stuff in front, and may not give offence rockets to counter your mentioned rocket spam. I may also move it around, and add in some non-destructable walls in front to make it harder to hit directly. I may add debris/roadblocks on the ramp to the keep as well to make it more hold-able. I plan on having a double, destructable porticullis blocking the entry, possibly with a murder hole in the top to drop dets/balls down (and a def-only door to let an assa get on top). Currently, 4th obj is led to by several small corridors, but I may open it to the surface or something like that, in order to avoid the cargo effect. Also, as the the map is open-air and the last obj is a hack, I clipped above all the walls to prevent any demo lauching for obj skipping (sorry lor :P)

PS: these screenies are done with the most basic compile, just so I could get a feel for the size and relative spacing of the map elements. It is nowhere near final graphics, and doesn't even include lighting yet.
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Topic author

Postby lorax on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:21 am

Turquoise Dragon wrote:I clipped above all the walls to prevent any demo lauching for obj skipping (sorry lor :P)

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Stupid mappers expecting my exploitations ahead of time... :sad:
waiting for duo to make it so I can't chewie trap the hangar on nar :?

I better find at least one ninja roll area on the map or I will not play :P
Image <----- Like a boss!!!
lorax
That one guy.

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 4:15 pm

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 am

lorax wrote:I better find at least one ninja roll area on the map or I will not play :P

I included a secluded sniping spot dom which an excellent sniper can hold all but the 4th obj at. Dunno if that'll make up for it or not, but...
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Topic author

Postby j3rk on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 am

hard to make out the layout from those screens but i'm looking forward to checking this out.
j3rk
A nub is In Ur Memories

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Okay, status update....

Thanks to a decent amount of down-time at work, I was able to make significant progress. All that remains to be done is work out the path to the top of the keep, make 20 someodd doors, set the route for a lift, and install the objectives and spawns at their correct points. Then I can release for a few trial runs. From there I'll take any suggestions as how to change anything around to make the map better. This release'll have to wait a while as I'm going away for two weeks soon. So I get to keep y'all hanging :twisted:
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Topic author

Postby GUARD!AN on Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:05 am

Let me know when/if you'd like to upload a few beta versions along the way to impulse for us to play around with!
GUARD!AN

–noun
1. guarding; protecting: a guardian deity.
2. a violent, tropical, cyclonic storm of the western North Atlantic, having wind
speeds of or in excess of 72 mph (32 m/sec).
3. (in Gnosticism) one of a class of powers or beings conceived as emanating
from the Supreme Being and performing various functions in the operations of
the universe.
4. a terrifying dream in which the dreamer experiences feelings of helplessness,
extreme anxiety, sorrow, etc.
5. The sensation and muscular spasm caused by an electric current passing
through the body or a body part.
GUARD!AN
Soup Eater

Highscores: 4
Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 2:15 pm

Postby Aries* on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 am

Yeah we wanna be beta testers! lol
Aries*

Local time: Thu May 16, 2024 10:15 pm

Postby Turquoise Dragon on Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Trust me, you guy's'll get first crack at the map, but I have to make it actually work first :P
Turquoise Dragon
The Scaled One

Topic author

Next

Return to Mapping